Ticking sound

My 1988 Grand Wagon developed a ticking sound yesterday. It sounds like a lifter or something. I checked the oil and the level is fine. The ticking frequency speeds up as the car does. When I lift off the gas, the ticking stops. The ticking stops also at idle and if I rev the engine while in park. So it appears like it only happens when the car is accelerating. I thought it might be the speedometer cable or something in the transmission? Maybe something in the exhaust system? Any thoughts?

Reply to
Mark Corbelli

This is a long shot, but did you just fill up the tank? You might be hearing pinging. Normally a lifter noise will be heard all the time, whether there is load on the engine or not. It is possible you got some crappy fuel.

Chris

You could easily be describing an exhaust manifold leak. They can make ticking noises when under load at first.

You can take a piece of hose or an automotive stethoscope held to your ear to maybe track that down.

Any popping noises when you decelerate in gear?

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > My 1988 Grand Wagon developed a ticking sound yesterday. It sounds like a
Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Mark Corbelli

No popping on decel. I agree that it's an exhaust leak somewhere. Is this something I can fix myself? Can it be helped by torquing the manifold cover bolts?

Reply to
Mark Corbelli

What engine does it have?

Mike

Mark Corbelli wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain
360 V8
Reply to
Mark Corbelli

You could try retorquing the manifold bolts in the right pattern to see if it helps. The cover bolts don't affect anything except oil leaks...

A bad engine mount can allow the engine to lift or shift under torque which can make things like the driveshaft tag. You can check for this by opening the hood, standing to the side and watching while having someone hold the brake down hard while putting it in drive and giving some gas. Then you do it in reverse. If the engine lifts or wags it tail look for a broken mount.

Mike

Mark Corbelli wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Yes, I've had a broken mount before. Didn't think of that. I'll check.

Reply to
Mark Corbelli

You use an apple????? So my version--that you are stupid--stands for retard. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@billhughes.com

L.W.(ßill)Hughes III

Since it's what the cool, smart people use, I'm not surprised you don't use one.

Case in point. Did you even get out of grammar school, lardbutt?

Reply to
My Conscience

My wife's 89 Chrokee 4.0 was making a little "ping" sound at idle, the rubber from the torsion dampener is coming out and tapping the fan blade. I got a new one and was going to drive it to work and change it on lunch hour, but it wouldn't start this morning. I just changed the crank position sensor laying in the snow. Damper can wait til' monday.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

If by torsion damper you mean harmoic balancer it's a PITA. I had to use a threaded driver to get it on. Had to take the radiator off to get at the thing.

took me more than an hour. Most of it was due to the radiatorhaving to be removed and running over to the parts store to borrowan installation tool.

Reply to
DougW

Took me about 2 hours, though i didn't have to mess with the radiator. I did have to unbolt the cooler line strap and flex them a few inches for clearance. Surprisingly, there was room for a 3/8 impact to handle the bolt, but had to use an end wrench on the puller.

Reply to
Stupendous Man