tire width and tire brand/model recommendations

Ok, I'm going to try to spark a bit of a debate here, and see what I get out of you guys in the way of recommendations, or just an all out war ;-) j/k...Let's hope it's more constructive than that. And yes, I know we've had these sort of discussions before, but none of those discussions seemed to bring out exactly what I'd like to know.

I need new tires. My ProComp M/T tires are worn down pretty bad. I've decided I want something with a good treadlife, preferably with some sort of treadwear warranty. (I am none to happy that my ProComps didn't last me much more than a year and a half.)

Right now, I'm leaning toward the BFG A/T KO tires, or some Big-O brand Big Foot X/T. The Big Foot tires include all hazard replacement (sidewall, road hazard, on/off road, you name it, they'll either fix the tire or replace it for free, no deductible). They cost $700 for the set. The BFG AT KO tires run substantially less than that (but without the free replacement damage coverage) at approximately $560. Both of these amounts are for 33x12.5x15 size tires.

Now, what I'm trying to decide is two-fold: a) Which brand should I get, and what's the best deal I can get? b) Should I consider a narrower tire width on my new set of tires?

Bear in mind I do not want to change out my wheels, so I can't change backspacing (and sorry, I'm not sure what my current backspacing is. I don't know how I'd measure that. All I can say is my current ProComp M/T 33x12.5x15 tires fit exactly as I like, and extend beyond the flare a bit).

Also, with regard to the narrower tire question: I don't do mud if I can help it. My main dig is rocks and some dirt out in the Colorado Rockies. So, my ideal tire should perform best in rocks, and mud performance should not be an important consideration. Also, I usually air down to approximately 12 to 15 PSI off-road. Just in case that has any bearing on the recommendations of tire sizes/widths or brands/models. I want good tires, but I want a good price, too. I'm not some sort of crazy rich CEO-type or anything ;-)

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Reply to
Bob

Not sure if you are going to find much in the way of a treadlife warranty for any tire that's not a P metric size. At least that's been my experience with tire stores and manufacturers.

Don't know much about the Big Foot, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find many people that would say anything bad about BFG tires in general. I have 44K miles on my BFG MT's and they have worn exceptionally well... not even close to being ready for replacement yet. Got mine at Sears, and paid an extra $14 or so per tire that provides on/off road hazard coverage like you describe below for the Big-O tires.

As for tire size, I'd stick with the 33x12.5 if you're happy with it. Sounds perfect for your applicati>Ok, I'm going to try to spark a bit of a debate here, and see what I

Reply to
David C. Moller

Given your statement that you do dry rocks and dirt, my preference is towards the BFG AT/KO. I have the BFG MT, and the ATs wear better and are a little quieter. I can't recall doing things with my MTs that my brothers can not do with their ATs. They get better wear than I get, and the traction seems to be on par. All things being equal, the ATs seem to be better for dry conditions.

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Thanks for the link, Bill. You always come through with the links we need, and usually they provide some really useful information. I'd seen some other review sites, but this looks like it may provide more useful information and easy comparisons to alternative tires I hadn't before considered.

On another angle to this tire query: I don't want to compromise my off-road abilities any more than I have to, but I do want improved treadlife. Does anyone have any recommendations besides the BFG AT KO (possibly an MT tire that wears well...noticeably better than the ProComp MT) for better traction than an AT tire while still providing longer life with concern to it being a daily driver/commute vehicle?

/Bob

Reply to
Bob

Snipped from my original reply to your message (if it got lost in the shuffle):

"I have 44K miles on my BFG MT's and they have worn exceptionally well... not even close to being ready for replacement yet."

Dave

Reply to
David C. Moller

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I have about 20 K miles on my BFG muds with no real wear showing.

Mike

"David C. Moller" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain