TJ Paint

Is it me, or is the factory paint job on my Jeep shoddy? I've got scratches on the hood from when I washed it a few months ago at a car wash. The scratches came from the foaming brush. This morning I noticed a scratch under the windshield. It came from my clearing snow from the hood. The reason I ask is that my '91 YJ has hardly any scratches on it, and while I didn't run it through any carwashes for at least the first six years, I did use a foaming brush. NO SCRATCHES. Twelve winters later, after using anything from ice scrapers to push brooms, still NO SCRATCHES. Has anyone here noticed the same thing?

Reply to
Eugene D'Jeep

Same luck here. My 90 YJ had much better paint. My 02 TJ has several flaws, especially where there are joints. Like fender to body lines and cowl to fender, etc. My hood has chips like nothing I've ever seen. Scratchs are mostly my fault, but seam mistakes and chips are annoying.

I figured mine was painted late on a Friday afternoon or something.

Reply to
Craig

My 99 has excellent paint - really durable. However, the photos of Nathan's Rubicons were shocking .. really really poor quality.

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne

Yea, I remember when Nathan brought up the issue of the bad paint job on his Rubicon. I didn't see the photos, but after seeing the way that the paint can easily scratch, I can imagine.

Reply to
Eugene D'Jeep

Eugene D'Jeep did pass the time by typing:

They stopped making good paint when they took the lead out. I miss good old GM code 12 white. Couldn't hurt that paint.

Reply to
DougW

When did they go from the old dino solvent based to water based?

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Sometime in the late 80's I think. It was the year that Ford and some other makers had problems with paint pealing off their cars due to incompatibility with the basecoat.

I'm fairly sure it was close to 88 and I know for sure it was later than 82 cause that's when my old C-10 was made.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
twaldron

Blew that theory then. I can remember when Chrysler amongst a few others had trouble with paint voids due to underarm deodorant flakes from workers getting on the vehicle, but was just wondering if it was the move to the low-vapor paints that started it.

The missus '95 ZJ has paint in excellent condition, but I've seen scary stuff on some of the SWB's on the local dealer lot in the new models.

Wonder what the heck else they did recently to make the paint so unbelievably fragile? Cut down on the amount to save weight? Different formula? Anyone know?

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Lon Stowell did pass the time by typing:

If you believe the folks at the local repair shop here it's because they are spraying it on thinner to save production cost. You just can't buff off the oxidation anymore without worrying about burning through. :/ I've got some "Texas pinstripes" on one side that went right through to the undercoat. mumble.. dang bodark bushes.

Reply to
DougW