TJ Speakers Upgrade

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of upgrading the TJ speaks, 2 in the dash and 2 at the sound bar. The factory ones deliver average sound quality. Do anyone have experience of replacing these speakers. Any tips will help.

It is 2001 TJ/SE with standard cassette. I will put a Sony sound system and Sony 10-CD player in my Add-A-Trunk pulled from my 99 GC. Due to space limitation of TJ, I am not considering an additional sub.

Much appreciated,

Joe

01 TJ/SE 99 GC 93 GC 81 CJ
Reply to
JJH

Eclipse all around... 4.25" in the front.. and 6.5" in the bar. Ugrade to a 60Watt Alpine deck.

Works great.. even @ 85mph.. highway w/ the top down.

Billy

Reply to
Billy Tolcher

concur...did that in my 98 TJ...same setup...was awesome.

Reply to
MJ w/ 2 TJ's

Yeah, buy them from someone who installs them for free as part of the purchase. The soundbar speakers are a breeze, but those dash speakers take some work getting to.

As far as speaker recommendations, I've always gotten the deepest bass and richest sound out of Pioneer speakers. Also, do yourself a favor and don't get any speakers that stand out like a soar thumb, like colored ones or whatever if you have a soft top. Jeeps are very vulnerable.

As far as sizes go:

Big Daddy

The fronts are easier now-a-days. There is a bracket that can be purchased for $10 or so.. it uses the factory speaker mounting locations, and installs in minutes. Very easy. The trickiest thing for me was figuring out which wire was positive/negative in the stock speaker plug. DC has now added a non-standard speaker plug to the wires... The '03 speaker 'pods' don't fit a 6.5" speakers perfectly. but it DOES works with some precision ... :)

:)

Billy Tolcher

I'd add my votes for Crutchfield, JBL and the ease of fitting speakers and stereos into the TJ!

OK, break over, now back to fitting those 4XD rocker guards; not quite as easy as it seems 8-)

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Were you able to get 6.5 in by enlarging the existing hole, stock is 5.25, Mine is sorely in need of sound upgrade.

Gregg

Reply to
Gregg

they fit no drilling or cutting

83 CJ 8, a work in progress
out the "XXX" to e-mail me
Reply to
Evan

I'm considering replacing my fronts. The soundbar is OK, but i get a very noticeable buzz from the front speakers. They might just need to be tightened for all I know, but if I'm ripping the dash apart...

Reply to
Brett Dixon

I get a 'buzz' from the dash as well. It is the door on the glove box... It is MUCH worse after upgrading.. :) a little foam tape..and all is well.

Billy

Reply to
Billy Tolcher