Scrambler hard top -- hot to correctly seal it?

I've had my CJ8 hardtop off for the summer, doing some other work on the inside.

(This top has never been off before --I know because I purchased it new.)

But I'm not certain what to use to seal it back up. I seem to remember reading some time ago that silicon type sealants will cause corrosion when curing.

And what about the "double-side" sticky tape? Can I use any of this type of tape that is sold at the local auto parts stores?

So, advice please -- what should I use?

Thanks,

Mike snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

----- Michael Pomeroy snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Michael Pomeroy

Foam tape, sticky on one side. Your auto parts store should have plenty of it. If not, look for one of those places that puts toppers on pickup trucks. They use the same stuff.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I put my hard top on and off all the time and mine just uses foam tape sticky on one side. (hardtop side)

I have no issues with leaks.

Mike

Michael Pomeroy wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Ditto on the foam tape. I've had the half-cab on and off my CJ 8 so many times, i don't even think about any type of caulking sealant. I know there's some tape on mine, probably torn off in some places. Still no leaks.

Don W

Reply to
Don Wallish

I caulk mine along the top front edge only, more for wind-noise than sealing. Regrettably, it only comes off once a year as its too rainy the rest of the time :-(

Reply to
Dave Milne

yeah, me too. That is the same thing I used w/ my old truck shell too. Works like a champ.

Billy

Reply to
Billy Tolcher

I just used foam weatherstripping on mine, when I had it.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland