TJ tranny locked up... again! Help!

The tranny has locked up again in neutral... this time it ain't comin' out. Any words of wisdom before I yank it out? happened once before several months ago... but I jiggled, pounded, etc. and it started working again. Stick shift goes left to right but wont go in any gear.... engine off/on, clutch in/out, rock back and forth... all that stuff. NV3550 my ars!#@*#

Reply to
JimG

Pull one bolt from the bellhousing, take it to the hardware store. Get 4 just like it, but 5 or so inches longer. When you get home, cut the heads off and taper the ends. Install the 4 rods you made when you take out the 4 lower bellhousing bolts. This will allow the trans to slide back free of the pilot bearing upon removal, and will make alignment for re-install VERY easy.

HTH

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Cool idea... Thanks! But I was hoping you would say something like... "turn hat to left side, stick tongue out to right side, close one eye and pull shifter back while standing on left foot only".

Reply to
JimG

Reply to
philthy

Sorry, not much good at voodoo (see my other post). Hope the idea helps.. I got it on here from (I THINK) Mike R.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

It is the right foot and you have to curl your tongue and rotate it counter clockwise while humming 'The Motorcycle Song' backwards in Polish.

Reply to
billy ray

I would be opening the top inside transmission tunnel's plate off and be checking the shifter tower's top plate for loose bolts....

It sounds to me like the shifter has popped out of it's hole inside the tower.

Mike

Mike Romain

Mike,

I have taken the shift tower off and can't see any problem. The NV3550 has only a socket and one shift rod... all that seems to be OK. The only thing I can figure is the forks have come loose from the rod (which I can't see without taking the tranny apart).

Jim

Reply to
JimG

Ouch!

Good luck.

Mike

JimG wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

ROFLMAO!!!! Sorry... but that IS funny :-D

Kate

Reply to
Kate

*ehm* How in the HELL is it possible, that guy who can do something like that, is single? *snikker*

K.

Reply to
Kate

Maybe not so funny....... haven't we all had a vehicle, back in the day, that required a .... 'unique'..... starting procedure?

Reply to
billy ray

Well sis....... A lot of the answer rests with 'She who must not be named.' or as you refer to her .... 'That Woman'.

Reply to
billy ray

Mike, Was it you that mentioned the bolt trick to me when I did my YJ trans?

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

I haven't had to jump start anything else in quite a while

Reply to
billy ray

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

First or reverse.

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

No, but it is a good one.... or it could be a pain in the butt to line up 4 pins instead of the 2 stock ones when the engine and tranny are tipped strange....

Mike

Carl wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain