towing a 1984 cj7 with a dana 300 Tcase

ok - I've seen a lot of flat towing a cj7 with a dana. Just wanting to confirm if this is ok via the following method. Tcase in neutral. Steering wheel un-locked. Front hubs locked. Transmission in 1st, although I would like to know why 1st -- seems that it would be better to have it in 3rd (in case it somehow jumped into gear). In any case, if anyone has any words of wisdom on this, I would appreciate it.

Reply to
rauch_2

rauch_2

That's the way Jeff here pulls his. Spinning the front shaft lubricates the transfer's out put bearing. The first gear rather than third probably would alert the tow driver of a drag indicating the engine was being turned over, which did happen to a poster here, and it wore out his engine. Locking the front axle in can't be done with my Dana 20 or older 18, their driveshafts lock together in neutral. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

I think I would use a much taller gear like drive. The reason being if for some strange weird reason it tries to jump into gear going down the road it would not overspeed the engine or strip out the Tcase gears as quickly trying to engage because there would be less drag on it because there would be less engine momentum to over come.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I met a guy in 1992 or so in Gunnison who was towing an Aspen station wagon with a motor home. The Torqueflite transmission didn't have any provision for flat towing, so the owner just started up the engine and let it idle the whole time. He told me he got 48 mpg on the Aspen towing it this way.

Removing the rear drive shaft is also an option to consider if you want to tow the vehicle a real long distance.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

There is no reason for this logic at all. I think this started on the fact that you park a stick in R or 1st. I would never tow this way because if as I said before it did engaged for some reason it would blown/destroyt the engine from overspeed in a heart beat at highways speeds if it did not toast Tcase first. Simple physics here, not old wives tales.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

You can tell a lot from the types of slips people make. Like when Clinton did that Oval Office thing or when GW said "won't get fooled again" you knew that that was their normal behavior. I don't believe that SnoMan has ever driven a manual shift vehicle.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton