T18/Dana 300

I have a buddie that is pulling his T150/dana 20 out (79 CJ7) and replacing it with a T18/dana 300. What transmission output gear does he need. The one on the T150? One off something that was in front of the dana 300? He is planning on selling off all the removed things and he wants to know if he should hang on to the T150 gear. The T18 is out of a 2WD ford truck and will require a AA kit. The kit doesn't come with the gear.

Reply to
cj573cj5

That's the conversion I did.

what gear ?

basically the conversion kit is...

some bearings and a few seala, and output shaft (to replace the one in the T18, and an adapter that you can mount the dana300 on.

there's nothing you need to keep from the T150 nor the Dana0 (maybe you can reuse the tranny mount, but that's about it

if you meant by "gear" that what sticks out the T18 in the back ? then that's the new output shaft that come with the AA kit.

Ron

cj573cj5 wrote:

Reply to
Ron Croonenberg

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

So the output shaft (it is the gear, kind of)of the kit drives the t'case. I have never messed with the 300, only the older stuff. Thanks

Reply to
cj573cj5

well, it is not really a gear. it is a splinded shaft that slides into the inputshaft of the dana300.

Ron

cj573cj5 wrote:

Reply to
Ron Croonenberg

I saw a picture of one on ebay after reading that things were different than the dana 20 and 18. I like the fact that it's one shaft between two bearings in the same housing. Should be plenty strong.

Reply to
cj573cj5

Yeah it is a good popular combination. (nice ratio too).

only "weak" point is the housing of the rear output onthe 300. but I'll take my chances

Ron

cj573cj5 wrote:

Reply to
Ron Croonenberg

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

If it was me, I'd would keep it. But my buddie has his heart set on the 300. He is doing the four speed so the ration isn't really an issue. To me it's anothe $300 into the conversion that's not necessary. I have the T15/Dana 20 in mine. I put a 3.15/1 kit in the Dana 20 and have no complaints.

Reply to
cj573cj5