1984 CJ7 - Dumb Questions

Well Men,

My wife just bought a 1984 CJ7 for me. I'm retired and I'm not real eager to get into the "fix as you drive" hobby.

This CJ7 checks out on CarFax and it looks like a fairly good deal. However, there are two immediate problems; and I'm sure I'll be asking lots of stupid questions in the future, so be patient, please.

First problem: The engine is a four cylinder, and other than having a zillion miles on it, I can't speculate further. At least it doesn't burn or leak oil. That may be because it doesn't have any oil in it, but what the heck. This CJ7 won't idle when it's cold. It reportedly idles just fine, after it warms up.

Second problem: The horn doesn't toot. Deader than a doornail. Fuse? Ok, where's the fuse box? What kind of fuse? The second part of the second problem is; the radio doesn't work either.

I won't miss the radio, because I don't care much for "modern" music anyway. After Ernest Tubb died, I gave up on the screaming mindless crap they put out today, anyway.

Please advise this old Ranger. I haven't been close to a Jeep since Laos.

Thanks in advance.

Matt The Texas Farmer

Reply to
ambrin

The chokes are electric and are total crap. I went to an old style manual choke and love it. They sell kits for it at most automotive parts stores.

The fuse panel is up by the driver's left foot and is a GM style panel that uses the normal sized plastic blade fuses.

The horn works through a relay under the dash and the power comes from a fuse link. Usually it is just a bad ground where the horn bolts to the fender. I would run a booster cable from the battery negative to the horn base to see if that helps. When you hit the horn button, listen close. You should hear a click under the dash. This will be the relay. if no click, then the relay could be worn or the steering wheel button might not be assembled right.

For the radio, you just have to follow it's wires and look for an inline fuse or the ACC fuse in the bottom right corner of the panel.

I highly recommend you go to the auto parts store and get the Haynes CJ manual for about $20.00. The wiring schematic is exact for the 84.

Mike

Mike Romain

Hi Matt, Well, well, well. You hang on to THAT lovely bride. I certainly don't want to make fun addiction of any kind, but you might as well say "uncle" now, cuz your wife giving you a Jeep is like the drug dealer giving you your first fix for free. After that, you're hooked and there's no lookin' back. You'll start to see many of the signs of abuse such as neglecting your appearance and hygiene, frequent use of eye wash, skin abrasions, possessing unexplained valuables, change in friends (like us), withdrawal, sneaky behavior, etc.

No matter what drug (Jeep) is involved, the disease of addiction appears to follow a predictable course. Typically, the user begins out of some level of curiosity. If the initial experience produces pleasurable results, the individual will more then likely move on to recreational use, such as with friends, at parties or on the weekends. As they come to enjoy the drug (Jeep) more and more, it is inevitable that the usage will increase, such as using during the week on a regular basis. Soon, their lives become more and more centered around getting the drug (Jeep) and finding opportunities to use it. It begins to interfere with relationships, school, work, and other formerly productive areas of interest in their lives. By now the drug (Jeep) -dependency, the addiction, have taken control, and the individual is unable to function without the drug (Jeep). If there is not a physical addiction, there is most certainly a psychological dependency upon their drug (Jeep) of choice.

Yes, Matt, we're all Jeep survivors, and we'll be here to help you through it, too. Maybe because we've alerted you to the minefield you're headed for, you'll be able to (not necessarily change course) but to tip toe a little. Have fun with that rascal!

Pete Stolz '84 Jeep CJ-7 Garnet, AMC 360, NV4500 5-speed, K&N, Edelbrock 4-bbl Carb & Intake, Hedman Headers, 2.5" duals, Dynomax Super Turbos & Super Converters, On-board air MSD Ignition...looks box stock 'cept for 31s, all engine mods, no lifts. '04 Audi S4 Nagaro Blue/Silver leather 6-speed

Reply to
Pete Stolz

Well said Pete. There is a 12 step program but... who wants a car anyway. My name is Rich and I've been a Jeeper for 14 years. Unfortunately I've only been dry for a few days now....but its supposed to rain tomorrow.

Reply to
Rich

HI RICH!!!!

Reply to