Transmission Problems??

Hey all,

I have a '97 Cherokee sport, 4L with the auto. 4x4, just in case anyone was wondering!! :)

Anyway, this jeep has about 73k on it, and about 2 months ago (while on vacation) the fuel pump went out and cost me a pretty penny to fix.

I've noticed a *few* times, the transmission seems to act a bit 'funny' once in a while. It may be shifting from 1st to 2nd, and seems to almost freewheel a bit before it finds 2nd. Or, it may 'bump' into first when coming to a gentle stop. Or, most disturbingly, at a constant throttle, at about 32 mph, up a gentle grade (enough to require just a touch of throttle to keep the speed), it seems to 'bump' a bit. It's a feeling I get in the seat of my pants, but has no noise related to it or anything else. It's almost the same feeling you'd get if the road was rough and it was

*bumping* and you could just feel the results through the chassy. I think it's important to note that the transmission performs flawlessly in almost every situtation imaginable - towing my utility trailer, hard acceleration, whatever. Each and every time I've had that sinking feeling that something was wrong, was at light throttle.

So, my question is this: am I detecting the early signs of a transmission problem, or am I noticing something that's pretty common and nothing to worry about??

If possible, please email me with your thoughts. I'm having serious problems with my newsgroups through my isp, and have to post this through google. snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Reply to
Jon Patrick