Tricks for removing lug nuts

In article , DougW wrote: #Herb Leong did pass the time by typing: # #> Did the cap come off the lug nut? If it did, you now have a metric lug #> nut. 17mm or 18mm, iirc. If you still have the cap, you can use it to #> "adapt" the metric lug nut back to a 3/4" one. The problem is that the #> sheet metal is kinda fragile and it only works once or twice before the #> sheet metal tears. # #Not to hijack the thread, but what is up with the metal cap crap? #Guess it's one better than snap on plastic but sheesh... They were used on the YJ so I can't blame the new German company for that. My guess to the reason why is that the sheet metal is cheaper to make pretty looking than a solid lug nut.

#I lost one of mine on the ZJ, but up till then never realized they were #metal covers. Plan on getting some new (solid) lugnuts next time. I lost one while changing a tire a week after buying my first YJ. The POS wrench that came with the car was way less than useless as I think it contributed to the cap coming off.

I was sooo pissed... Had to tow the bugger to a shop. I carried a long handled Craftsman rachet, two 12-point sockets, and a AAA card afterwards. Then after I lost my 5th (or 8th?) cap, I gave up and got solid lug nuts. Maybe I should have kept the metric nuts--everything else seems to be either Torx or metric on a Jeep nowadays...

#On the plus side, once that metal comes off you basically have a locking #lugnut. :) I guess, but it's a crappy locking lug nut when anyone with a metric socket or tireiron can make off with your rims. ;-)

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

Yep, my '02 & '06 TJs came with the sheet metal covered lug nuts. It is only a matter of time until the sheet metal falls off. I replaced all my lug nuts with solid nuts from my local auto parts store. Then those started rusting.

Sheeze!

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Earle Horton proclaimed:

Some surplus stores have small waxy blocks that look like toilet paper impregnated with dark amber waxy compound and one end that has an oxidiser. Another item that works but is a bit hard to come by due to recent troubles is C4. Burns readily with a very hot flame and will start rather wet wood.

Reply to
Lon

DougW proclaimed:

Not if you have a Dremel

Reply to
Lon

Plastic explosives are easy to make as is Thermite which would do better in this case for removing stuck lugs..

Anyone who took highschool chemistry can make either one from stuff you have around the house or can pick up locally..

Reply to
billy ray

A coworker in the orchard told me, that he once removed a stubborn shock absorber mounting bolt, using a 44 Magnum pistol. Some people, you just know that they are telling you the truth.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

Earle,

I'm not sure how to take that comment.

Reply to
billy ray

Just don't try this on real magnesium wheels.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Why not? A little thermite would be a great way to them going...

Reply to
billy ray

ANFO is easy to make but makes a poor fire starter. It also has the downside that it is easier to set off crappy home made explosives than stuff designed for warheads and such. Some odd prejudice for not blowing the thing up when it gets the nudge from whatever is launching or shooting it. Thermit has the downside that you end up with all that liquid iron drizzling around and welding things together. Plus it might be hot enough to ignite an aluminum wheel or at best damage it.

billy ray proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Probably got the idea from Bill Mauldin's famous GI putting a Jeep out of its misery.

Earle Horton proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Update: The cap is off the nut. I sprayed the nut with PB Blaster several times prior to trying to loosen the nut. I feels like I get a tight fit with an 18mm socket, but when applying pressure, it slips. The nut is set deep so I don't think I can use the dremel tool on it.

Should the next approach be heat or nut removal kit from Sears?

Thanks,

CTM

Reply to
testert555

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com did pass the time by typing:

6 or 12 point. A 6 point is what you need to get a better grip.

Possibly.

Reply to
DougW

If you have a 4-way, or a friend with one, give the other sockets a try.

Generally one will work with the caps on and another will work with them off.

Reply to
billy ray

Not on Jeeps... The odd one out is an 18 mm. No lugs are 18 stock.

Mike

Mike Romain

He could try a six point impact socket that is just a bit too small, and hammer it on there. Red Green: "Any tool, is the right tool."

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton

You might not be getting the socket all the way onto the nut. With my older deep set aluminum rims I had to feather the end of the socket to get it to seat all the way down or it would just catch the top of the nut an slip under pressure. On those !@#$%^ lug nuts that lose the tine, I don't even pretend to know what size they are. I start with 2 sets of sockets and keep working down in size alternating between the SAE and metric 6-point sets (gives me the smallest step between socket sizes - the number is irrelevant in this case) until I find the smallest one I can get to start on, then drive it on all the way. I can always knock the nut out on the bench once it's out.

Have you checked to be sure the wheel stud isn't sp> Update: The cap is off the nut. I sprayed the nut with PB Blaster

Reply to
Will Honea