Turn Indicator Supplementation

On my CJ5 with the hood off as it always is I can not seen the turn indicators flashing. After much searching I have not found an audible clicker either that I can hear over open-top noise. I suppose I could run a wire to a larger bulb up in the dash but has anyone a better idea?

Reply to
Michael Stevens

(assume "hood off" = "open-top"?)

OK... I'll bite... How about a relay tied to each indicator light with it's contacts in parallel with your horn button?

-- JimG

80' CJ-7 258 CID 35" BFG MT on 15x10 Centerlines D44 Rear, Dana 30 Front. SOA 4.56 Gears, LockRight F&R Dana 300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn X8000i w/ dual batteries
Reply to
JimG

Yes "hood off" ment "top-off." This was a serious question son why did you treat it like a flame? I would think this a very common problem or am I missing something?

Reply to
Michael Stevens

Sorry... no intent to flame. Your post went un-answered for several hours... Just really don't have a good answer. I guess that's why they make auto return turn signal levers now.

JimG (be careful who you call son.. they may old enough to be you father.)

Reply to
JimG

I am thinking on it....

I am thinking on a buzzer/beeper fired by a relay which is triggered by either signal light. Might need a diode in each trigger wire to avoid a cross feed to the other side, but a run of the mill diode would do. Maybe with a simple kill switch in the circuit for when the top is on so the buzzer doesn't drive me nuts.

Either that or a diode isolated (for two feeds) 12 volt LED (or a resistor in series with a regular LED) dead center above the steering wheel, but don't want the visual mod to the dash.

I think LED's are the best to use because of the low power draw.

Mike

Michael Stevens wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Hi Mike,

Good point on the diodes!... my suggestion would have set off both turn signal indicators. Using a piezo would be OK... low current, very loud, might not require a relay.

JimG

Reply to
JimG

Mike Romain did pass the time by typing:

If you go this way you might consider using the brake switch as an interlock. i.e. the beeper only beeps with your foot off the brake and not while your sitting at the light. That would require a bit more work though. Depends on how the brake switch works.

Put it in a little box and velcro it to the dash? Stick it up on the A pillar? Set it way up front in the engine bay? Use one of those blue-led ricelights/bugspray things and mount it forward of the windshield?

LED's would be easy. Just wire them sorta like what I did for the turn markers. You probably could get away without using the voltage regulator IC, That just made it easier to max the brightness.

And they make real tiny ones about the size of the "o". The turn marker writeup is on my site.

If you do one LED you could run it off right after the blinker. If you wanted two LEDs then run them off after the turn signal switch.

Wiring is simple. Pick the LED and get the Voltage drop and Current rating For example, Radioshack 276-330 (bright red) are 1.8V 20mA

Normal (12V - 1.8V)/.020A = 510 Ohm Charging (14V - 1.8V)/.020A = 610 Ohm

Now you won't be able to find exact resistance so go higher. I would probably pick a 600 Ohm or 650 Ohm resistor.

LSignal >-------/\/\/-----|>|------->ground RSignal >-------/\/\/-----|>|------->ground

Or you can just get the small 12V LED (has a built in resistor)

Hope any of those ideas help.

Reply to
DougW

Approximately 10/16/03 15:19, Mike Romain uttered for posterity:

Two high volume buzzer/beepers so you can set them up like the blind traffic lights...

Dunno if they are still around, but a Mallory Sonalert is very very difficult to ignore. Might even be able to find one with two isolated inputs.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

How about an "extra loud" flasher from JC whitney or the local parts store?

Reply to
Paul Calman

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Approximately 10/16/03 16:30, Paul Calman uttered for posterity:

Or cruise the local beach and look for one with a bright red and blue plaid raincoat. Wire the signals from the lights to his nuts...

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Not even close....

Figure you have to have one 'good' stereo even to hear it in the road, let alone a tick tick from a flasher.

Mike

Paul Calman wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike, why don't you simply get a new Turn Signal Switch that shuts itself off when you get done making the turn?

Bring it over to my house, I have the tools to take the switch out and put a new one back in. It isn't difficult, but there are a couple of special tools that are needed. I could bring the tools over to your house ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

tried that. they just are not that loud for an open jeep

Reply to
Michael Stevens

Thanks for the invite I might just come over but for a beer as I already put in a new indicator swithch and an "extra loud" clicker but somehow I always find it still on!

Reply to
Michael Stevens