4WD Indicators Flashing

On my 1996 Explorer, the 4wd and 4wd low indicators have started flashing. When I flip the switch to 4WD, the indicator does not come on, but I can hear the clicks and clunks associated with the transfer case, and I can hear the additional noise from the drivetrain. After a little while, both the 4wd and low lights start flashing irregularly. If I turn the engine off and then back on, the 4wd indicator will remain lit solidly. I beat the truck on snowy roads the other day in this condition and could not get the indicators to flash. Disengage 4wd, re-engage, and the symptoms reappear.

4WD low behaves similarly, only in this mode, if I turn the engine off and back on, the indicator will light correctly as in 4wd-auto, but then both indicators start flashing after a short distance.

I've read the various posts in this newsgroup regarding hall sensors, and the switching motor...does this problem sound related?

It's scheduled to go into the dealer on Monday, but I'd like to have some helpful "suggestions" for them...

Thanks,

Cameron.

Reply to
Cameron

my 2000 4wd did the same thing for a long time, but it didn't seem to hurt anything. after i replaced the battery it stopped for some reason.

Reply to
mcclain9317

my 2000 explorer did the same thing, and after i replaced the battery it seemed to be fixed. now the indicators only come on when i put the truck in 4wd.

Reply to
mcclain9317

unhook the battery about 5mins then hook back up should be ok good luck

Reply to
joenda

I read that you have scheduled an appointment for your Explorer. We have the same problem with our 1997 XLT. We have taken it to a mechanic, who has replced the switch and battery. This seem to work for a while, but it has returned! We have 141K and I do not know hoe much money we are talking about in repairing this problem. Everything else seems fine and the car is still solid. Please allow me to know your experience, costs, and outcome. If the job is costly, we are considering buying another car, but we'd like to get another year out of it, if possible.

Reply to
frauzins

We replaced the battery on our 1997, and the problem went away for awhile and recently returned.

Reply to
frauzins

have the same problem with our 1997 XLT. We have taken it to a mechanic, who has replced the switch and battery. This seem to work for a while, but it has returned! We have 141K and I do not know hoe much money we are talking about in repairing this problem. Everything else seems fine and the car is still solid. Please allow me to know your experience, costs, and outcome. If the job is costly, we are considering buying another car, but we'd like to get another year out of it, if possible.

It turned out to be the rear speed sensor in the transfer case. It cost $100 to replace including parts and labor. Apparently, the indicators flashing can indicate problems with the speed sensors, the GEM computer, or the shift motor. There may be other things that could also cause this condition.

Reply to
Cameron

I have a diagnostic appoint scheduled with the dealer on Friday. That's $70.00, so I am hoping we have the same situation like you and it is inexpensive. Thanks so much!

Reply to
frauzins

I had same problem on our 1996 XLT. Turns out it was simply dirty front and rear speed sensors. A good mechanic would remove them and clean them if they're dirty, and test. If problem doesn't return, then you are not out $100 per new sensor. Watch that they don't sell you new sensors when wiping the metal debris from the original sensor is all that may be needed.

It is also certainly possible that a sensor is actually bad, and not just dirty (like mine were). In which case, of course it would have to be replaced.

I only mention this since I've seen a lot of postings of replacing batteries and replacing sensors, and the possibility of that not being necessary if the culprit is just a dirty sensor. Begs the question as to why replacing the battery would temporarily solve the problem (because replacing the battery resets the computer, which takes time to relearn things).

My 2 cents.

Mike

$70.00, so I am hoping we have the same situation like you and it is inexpensive. Thanks so much!

Reply to
Mike Mayer