Update on the header install

Well, day two and the engine stumbles a bit. Gonna recheck the bolts but I did find out what the problem was. A little TB cleaner indicates I farked up the gasket under the blower. At least it's not the intake/exhaust gasket.

That explains a lost of 1 psi of boost and 2in of vac.

heh, oops. Ya know, when you run a bead around a flange it helps to know how the mating part fits. Poor little bead of sealer was way out in the open.

:)

Reply to
DougW

David C. Moller

David C. Moller did pass the time by typing:

Yep. If it finds a leak your engine will stumble and almost die. Same effect you get from spraying it down the intake. I use that trick for finding all sorts of vac leaks, even hoses and fittings.

Do be careful with using it on form-in-place gaskets. For the most part RTV is immune but some gasket materials will dissolve with the cleaner. (it's what I use to remove gasket material) :) But it's safe around paper and metal/carbon gaskets.

Some folks also use propane/butane and a long hose. It makes the mix richer and increases engine RPM. Actually it's cheaper than TB cleaner and not nearly as messy. Just take a few fittings to adapt your propane torch to a long bit of rubber hose. I'm out of mapp gas so the TB cleaner was next in line.

Here is another trick that I learned from a crusty ol' wrencher.

Take a vacuum cleaner and connect it to the intake, you don't want a perfect seal since it just laggs the vac cleaner. Now prop the intake open and use a ciggy or smoke source to hunt for leaks. If it goes in you found a leak. Same applies for the exhaust system. Stick the vac in the tailpipe then hunt for leaks in the plumbing.

Reply to
DougW

Thanks! I'll give that a try this weekend.

Dave

Reply to
David C. Moller