Using clutch in water

Got my jeep stuck in about 2' of water, put it in reverse, backed out, then went again and got through, but now my clutch makes a grinding vibration at full pedal depression. After lots of reading I find out you shouldn't use the clutch while water crossing, can get water or other stuff between. So obviously that is what happened, so what do I do now? Is this something like brakes that dry out with a bit of use, or something that needs me to dissasemble 1/2 my vehicle to get clean.

Reply to
Greg

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

That sounds like you got a bit more than just water in there....

Was it clean water?

Mine has a plate on the bottom front of the bell housing that can be removed for access. Enough I could get a hose in and wash the crud out.

I was riding shotgun with the first gent from here I went wheeling with one trip in his TJ and he got stuck in a big puddle. I have photos of that. We were the only ones on the trail so it wasn't mixed mud too bad, but non the less it toasted his clutch. It had zip at first, then after repeated slamming the pedal up from the floor it grabbed enough to limp out. It then held to get home, but would slip under load.

Then comes the next gotcha, did you ever put a high water vent on your tranny? If not, you should check the fluid ASAP for water. Stock they only have a button vent.....

Water raises the fluid level and in the cold things can spin up in neutral that aren't supposed to. Like when at -40 and dropping the clutch down in neutral on a cold tranny will start the vehicle going forward if you don't hold the brakes down.

Mike

Greg wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

No I never put a vent on tranny, saw that little button, tried to pull it off to put on a vent but couldn't get it off, but besides a little splashing I don't think water was that high, I figure if it's not coming in my floor drains it's not over the little button vent. Clutch didn't slip at all, and I only drove it about 1/2 mile home, will pull it out of garage tommorrow and take off plate and give a rinse, puddle I went through was not exactly clean, only saw one set of tracks going into it though so couldn't of been stirred up too much, but I did stir it up a far bit trying to get out, there's mud on my roof :)

Reply to
Greg

Well thanks Mike and Bill for answering, I let dry out for a couple days, today I decided to take off inspection plate, but only thing that shows is back of flywheel, so no help there, shown a flashlight around in bellhousing, just the expected soot like stuff, no chunks of debris. After I posted last time I checked Google for clutch and water crossing, got into clutch problem diagnosis, all vibration when cutch depressed symtoms had about 8-10 reasons, but on every page was transmission to engine bolts loose, and I remebered when I was listening to it and my daughter was pushing clutch in and out a few times that there seemed to be a lot of movement between the two, and sure enough, 4 out of 5 bolts were loose, 3 just not tight, 2 acually backed out a 1/4". Tighten all up, ( 28lbs doesn't seem like much?) and vibration is gone, so hopefully it hasn't been like that too long, all cluch parts only have about 2000 miles on them, so would hate to have to change.

"Greg" wrote in message news:3hDDd.2924$6l.1294@pd7tw2no...

Reply to
Greg

I have seen that happen a few times actually!

Really glad to hear it was an easy fix, gotta love those forehead slappers....

Mike

Greg wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain