valve stem has lip/rim can't get seal on

83 CJ7 4.2L

I'm on #1 cylinder and I have a valve that has a rim or lip at the top of the stem where I can get the seal only partially down. I can't get past where the keepers sit and down onto the stem. What's up with this? What can I do in this situation? The last three valves have been ok. This is the first with the problem.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Should I protect the area from filings and take a file and file the lip off?

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Yes.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Newton

Bill, that sounds like the top of the valve has been pounded flat?

If so, then you have issues with that rocker arm for sure and likely the push rod and/or the hydraulic lifter for that valve.

Was it physically loose before you unbolted it? Was the nut loose that torques it on?

Have you had a bad tapping noise at idle in the past that 'maybe' went away?

Are you the guy that had the 'timing ping' at idle? If so you just found it.

Mike

William Oliveri wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain