Tire Valve Stem

Ok, not exactly specific to Chrysler but since this is my favorite technical car group and it is a problem with my 91 GC, here goes. Can a tire valve stem be changed without removing the tire? Can the stem be forced in from the outside instead of the inside? Right now the dust cap is holding in the air.

Reply to
dprkk

Nope. You're gonna have to break down the tire. There is no way you're going to get that knob of rubber thru the hole. Think about it, if you 'could' force the end of the stem thru the hole, would you really want to drive on it with 35 psi pushing outward?? I mean, if it could be pushed thru, it could come out anytime.

Denny

Reply to
Denny

specific to Chrysler but since this is my favorite

Denny,

Thanks for your reply. Is there a way to break the tire free at that portion of the rim with hand tools?

Reply to
dprkk

specific to Chrysler but since this is my favorite

If I were stuck on the side of the road without access to a tire shop, here's what I would do. Let all of the air out, set the tire flat on the ground, and jump on the sidewall right next to the stem. If you do this vigorously enough it should break the bead away from the rim. If you can't get it loose by jumping on it, I would hesitate to use hand tools because you're just asking for damage if you start sticking screwdrivers and crowbars in there. You might try putting a short 2x4 against the sidewall right next to the rim and whack it with a sledge hammer.

After you get the old stem out, put some watered down liquid dish soap on the new one and pop it into the hole. Put some on the tire bead where you broke it loose, to help it reseat itself when you air it up. If you're having trouble getting the tire to hold air because it doesn't seat against the rim all the way around, try tying a rope around the tire and pull it tight against the tread to push the sidewalls outward. This trick works like a charm.

If all else fails, take it to a tire shop and let them do it. It will probably cost you ten bucks or less. If not, try a used tire shop. They tend to have better prices.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

Hi...

For whatever little it may be worth... back in the olden days we used to use an old fashioned bumper tire jack. Just put the tire in position under the bumper, put the base of the jack on the tire wedged as well as you can between the wheel/tire joint. Then jack the car up until the bead breaks.

Take care.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

Maybe you could unscrew the valve core and screw in a new one? Might be all you need.

Reply to
Tom Bavis

Yes it can be done with an object that will not tear the rubber, put some lube on it and work it in when there is no air in the tire

Glenn Beasley Chrysler Tech

Reply to
maxpower

yeah, I was wondering the same as Tom, what if it just a stuck valve stem? Easy to replace, no tire hassles at all. Cheap enough, even with buying the small tool. Or having a good needle-nose.

If it IS the stem, I fully agree, you have to break the rim bead. U can decide how, some DIY advice given. They do work. Seating the stem against the rim will require the front bead to emrge from the rim, stems have two beads for the sealing properties.

Ucan get the tool cheaply, or I bet local tire shop might let ya use one real quick. If ya go through all the hassle to break bead yourself to replace a stem, ya really need to ensure the stem gets seated!!!!!!!!!!.

Generally, if not on-the-road repair, I'd take it a shop, let them bust the bead and install a new stem, in-out within 10 minutes, say $10 bill.

Reply to
Knifeblade_03