Very cold at elk camp... synthetic oil in my TJ?

Reply to
RoyJ

RoyJ did pass the time by typing:

Colder air is denser and the ecu will increase fuel to keep a proper ratio. Carbs can't do that. FI vehicles almost never have heat risers like a carb does because they arn't as suceptable to icing. That's where having an intake under the hood in cold weather is better than sucking in outside air. A friend of mine uses a hot air system from an old pickup and plumbed the existing air box with it.

Reply to
DougW

snip

Yeah, I've been thinking about something like that. Gives better gas mileage and makes it more driveable.

Reply to
RoyJ

Back in the 60's that used to be an every day occurrence with Rayon (I think) tires. If you let the vehicle sit for a day or two, all 4 tires would have flat spots that took a few miles to "round out."

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Or was it Nylon?

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
RoyJ

I don't remember rayon flat spotting much, it just self destructed with moisture. Nylon develops flat spots, as did some of the fibreglass.

Some of the Pirelli radials still nylon plys, but enough steel that the flatspotting isn't as noticeable.

mabar proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I know. Had a set on a 66 Impala SS. Left them on for less than 6 months before removing them and putting on a set of Dunlop "dog biscuit" 70 series radials.

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon