Cold Start/Very Low oil

I have this friend who started his 240D (4 cyl. 616) that had been sitting in storage for eons and when the oil pressure did not rise after 30-40 seconds, shut it down, and discovered that the oil had mostly drained out through a leak in the pan. (There had been oik on the stick the day before.)

Is it likely that he has done any damage to his engine?

Reply to
Randall Brink

as long as he did not floor it for that 30 to 40 secs fix the leak drain whats left put in a new filter & try it again.

the needle should go up to 3 Bar very quickly. if not start checking the sending unit wire & other stuff

the case, minus a few cans!

Reply to
pool man

As soon as my friend poured a gallon of Delo into the crankcase, the oil pressure shot right to the top of the guage (he says).

Reply to
Randall Brink

No damage if the engine still turns.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Lucky guy!

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

I will congratulate him on dodging a bullet!

Reply to
Randall Brink

Just about 10,000 miles of wear in a minute...

Sheesh. What a dork.

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph

It wasn't a minute--more like 30 seconds.

Reply to
Randall Brink

Either way, it's a GOOD IDEA to check the oil level before starting a car in an an unknown condition....

Marty

Reply to
Martin Joseph