Synthetic oil

I have used synthetic oil in my 99 Trooper since new and oil consumption has been negligable between changes, 3000-5000 miles. This engine is notorious for oil consumption but this one is an exeption. The first two oil changes on my 2005 Corolla were done by the dealer at no cost at 4000 mile intervals. I put in Wal Mart full synthetic 5w-30 for the third change. The question is, is Wal Mart full synthetic a true synthetic or a waste of money for a 5000 mile oil change. It does get cold here in Massachusetts where if you are a convicted criminal and a friend of the mayor you too can become a constable and assist in debt collection, illegal car reposessions etc.

Ron

Reply to
ronbon

I would look at the label on the oil to see what kind of API certification it has.

Reply to
Ray O

My guess is that Wal-Mart full synthetic is better than conventional oil, but not as good as Mobil 1.

I purchased a 5 quart container of Mobil 1 5W-30 at Wal-Mart recently for about $21.50. I am not sure how much cheaper Wal-Mart synthetic is in comparison, but I doubt it is significant to most people.

Reply to
Mark A

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Ron, are you saying indirectly that you don't necessarily believe everything that Wal*Mart says about their products? For shame ! Bite your tongue, knave! :-)

Reply to
mack

In what practical way is Castrol oils performance inferior?

Interestingly, the Castrol Full Synthetic sold in

Castrol has a huge range of synthetic oils and so does Mobil. Some synthetic oils from both brands meet some of the higher performance and longevity standards demanded by certain vehicles and some do not.

Huw

Reply to
Huw