Well, that was fun.

Noticed the power steering return hose was getting a bit soft. (that's what I get for using a hose that wasn't exactly rated for PS fluid) :/ Well, it was rated for oil.

Anyhoo.. got the NAPA (yep NAPA) replacement part, fitting, pipe, and hose. Only problem is with my setup the reservoir is too close to the power steering unit and the bend puts way too much stress on the plastic tank. So now I've got a spare and eventually will have time to throw a bend in the pipe to make it fit. Spares are good. :) Just wish I would have remembered why I used that long bit of hose in the first place.

So... off I go to Autozone to get some PS return line. And oh boy ..did I get it.. Right up the arse.

They had the line. The computer said PS return line. The computer also said $8/ft. O_o

That is what I would expect for supply line. And sure enough it was. You can tell by the abrasion resist coating and double weave. But that's all they had apart from the other line that went soft. So out goes $20 for 2ft of hose that should cost about $6 max.

(2ft so I can turn a loop to relieve stress and match the fittings up)

Three quarts of fluid from NAPA (two for flushing, one to fill) and it's all better now. (purple, but better)

Of course one drive around the block and the stuff that didn't get pumped out will make the whole lot brown again.

The only thing I'm left wondering about is if I should replace those springy bandclamp things with real hose clamps. Supply hose is harder to compress around fittings.

Reply to
DougW

If you think about it, it's time to do it...

Seahag

"DougW" wrote:

Reply to
Seahag

Seahag did pass the time by typing:

True.

..

I think I'll have a scotch.

Reply to
DougW

In article , DougW wrote: #The only thing I'm left wondering about is if I should replace those #springy bandclamp things with real hose clamps. Supply hose is #harder to compress around fittings.

IIRC, most bandclamps are rated for single use.

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

Yes, absolutely: replace the springy-press-fit clamps with real hose clamps. OEM's use them because they're cheap, quickly installed and can't be overtightened. Biggest problem with screw-type clamps is that they're very easily overtightened. But, you won't let that happen, will you?

My leaf-blower's fuel line finally cracked due to age and had to be replaced. I asked the guy behind the counter for a 'couple of feet' of the stuff. After he told me it was $0.55 cents per INCH, I had to scale my request back a bit. And catch my breath.

Reply to
JD Adams

Just out of curiosity, wouldn't a Jeep dealer carry such an item? How much? And are genuine Jeep parts as good or better than those from auto parts stores?

Like I said, just curious, I haven't had to replace anything yet on my '04 TJ but I do have 4 Jeep dealers within a 12 mile radius.

Ralph

Reply to
Pumper Hinkle

Pumper Hinkle did pass the time by typing:

They do carry the assembly (hose, hard-line, connector, clamp) but the OEM unit won't fit well with what I have. In order to install the supercharger I had to replace the stock PS bottle with a different version. That one has a return hose connection that is too close to the PS unit.

They don't carry the hose separately.

And Autozone had the wrong part number in the computer. That's ok, what I've put in there should last till the wheels rot off. :)

Reply to
DougW

JD Adams did pass the time by typing:

:) mebby, mebby not.

Ouch! Wonder if oil prices have a lot to do with that. Seems like any rubber product (even silly O rings) has gone up quite a bit recently. :/

Reply to
DougW

Kate did pass the time by typing:

yep.

There is usally a link in my .sig but recently I haven't been using it in posts.

Reply to
DougW

On his JeeP Kate, On his Jeep.. :P

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

Yup dealer carries these, and I was actually cheaper to buy the return hose with connector ($30) there then to buy the hose and separate "universal" connector from Canadian Tire(hose $29 connector $26). CT was about 1/4 of the price for the supply hose though ( $35 @ CT and $88 dealer).

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

Geeze JD, we had to get new lines for our the chainsaw last year, went to the place where we bought the lawn tractor, told the guy we needed a foot, he grinned and insisted on giving it to us. A little later in the season we had to get some for the leaf blower and he was going to give that to us too but we insisted on giving him a couple of bucks. Told him it made us feel guilty.

I'd give that guy you're doing business a piece of my mind and tell him that's why I was going to do business elsewhere. Including my next equipment purchase and equipment repairs too.

:
Reply to
Kate
*PERK*

Doug gots a supercharger?

Kate

Reply to
Kate

Ohhhhh spiffy!

: > Doug gots a supercharger? : : yep. : :

: There is usally a link in my .sig but recently : I haven't been using it in posts. : : -- : DougW : :

Reply to
Kate

: > Doug gots a supercharger? : >

: > Kate : : On his JeeP Kate, On his Jeep.. :P : : Snow... :

Awww well heck. I still got a free shot!

heh heh

Reply to
Kate

How much power does that thing put out now?

Reply to
billy ray

billy ray did pass the time by typing:

:)

Enough.

With the mods I've made the ZJ put out about 285HP

(that's not verified.. as there is no 4wd test dyno around here)

But it easily handles the ricers with those stupid fart-pipe mufflers. :)

Reply to
DougW

This guy's the only game in town, and he knows it. The next closest outfit is 35 mins. away in a seedy side of Stockton. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and shovel over the cash.

I do smile and wonder, however, why small businesses around here complain about Wal*Mart taking over the world. Their customer-unfriendly business practices are partially responsible for their own demise.

Reply to
JD Adams

Pretty cool bet that kit would really perk up my little Cherokee! However from the looks of that stereo you needed the extra power just to run those amps

Jeff DeWitt

DougW wrote:

Reply to
Jeff DeWitt

I agree completely. The lawnmower repair options in Modesto weren't much either as I recall. Out here, they are everywhere. Sometimes I forget to be thankful for a husband that can do damn near anything,

Kate

Reply to
Kate