Winter tires, studs...

Has anyone ever tried the new tires with steel wire embedded into the tread. It runs perpendicular to the steel belts and as the tire wears it keep protruding through. Also there are some new tires with some sort of diamond grit substance embedded into the tread. How do either of these compare to studed winter tires .

Reply to
habbi

I have a new set of Yokohama Geolander I/T+ tires that are phenominal. They aren't quite as good as studs on glare ice, but they stick like glue in all other situations during severe winter driving. I strongly recommend them. They sure beat my siped MT/Rs.

John Davies Spokane WA USA

Reply to
John Davies

The diamond like substance is silica, or purified common sand. The advantage of both of these is that they can be run at higher speed than a studded, with a bit of superhardcore traction loss at very low speed compared to studs--which is why chains will fit over them.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Hmmm ... seems to be 70R only ... no 225/75R15 ???

Reply to
bowgus

The pdf above shows more sizes than the main page does, but no, apparently no 225/75R15 size offered. The 215/80R15 at 28.8 inches should be about the same OD. Narrower is better in snow anyway...

John Davies Spokane WA USA

Reply to
John Davies