winter tires for 997 all-year long?

As I keep shopping I saw 2 cars so far that keep driving on WINTER tires all year long. Argument I heard in both cases was what winter tires help to prevent wheel damage better on roads with potholes.

Is it a some sort of a joke or for real Porsche-only trick?

If that is for sure the way to drive 997 on (bad) roads - what particular brend of winter tires is best for driving? I was surprised with all that to say the least.

Reply to
Paul Atkin

"Paul Atkin" wrote

Most winter tire setups are separate wheels and tires that allow higher-profile tires (smaller wheel diameters) than performance summer tires. That makes for a softer ride with much less chance to damage the wheels. You can always swap to the performance setup for track days.

I personally would not - and do not - drive on winter tires during the summer, due to the lower performance. If I were, the Pilot Sport Alpine PA2 would be my choice, as it has reasonable dry road performance compared to non- speed-rated tires. There are a couple of others that also might work. You do generally get better wet-weather performance with snows, too.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers