Wrangler Catalytic Converters

Fellow Jeepers, I am now getting my third catalytic converter put on my 1997 Jeep Wrangler. I only have 79000 miles on it. The factory converter went out when I had about 40000 miles, it was covered by the emissions warranty. The next converter went out about 25,000 miles later at 65,000 miles. At that time I found out the warranty would no longer cover the expense so I figured since all that was wrong was that it collapsed and was rattling when it idled I would just leave it. Well, the rattlling finally started getting to me since my Jeep looks so nice but sounds like a deisel at a stop light I decided to get it replaced once more. Of course, it is costing me an arm and a leg. On Wranglers prior to 1997 the cost is as little as $99. However the '97's on up have a sensor that is hooked to the converter so it costs anywhere from $300 on up depending where you go for your replacement, and thats without labor. I have debated over the last two years whether to sell my Jeep and get a more economical vehicle, but I love my Jeep, it is paid for and does not cost alot to own except for gas. I have pics of it on my web site below and also a link to a Jeep page I made if you would like to check it out. Has anyone else had converter problems like this? Lets here it.

Thanks

Reply to
Marty

meineke mufflers here in houston charge me 125 for the convertor installed...

-- Jarod Sprauer

Talk is JEEP at

281-807-JEEP (5337)

Reply to
IsellJeeps

On my '00, there a sensor upstream and downstream, but not on the converter itself.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo