Wrangler question

In my search for a Wrangler to buy for my project, I've come across a few of them that have the Sahara, Islander, and Rio Grande packages. It seems that these sell for quite a bit more (at least in my area of the world) than the "plain" Wranglers do. Does someone have a link to a website or the knowledge that explains what extras or desirable options these models have? Any help is appreciated.

Chris

If you spend some time digging around on this site,you can probably figure out the price differences between the various modelsthat you are interested in. The main differences are six cylinder versus four cylinder engine, and YJ versus TJ. Four cylinder engines are smaller, but come from the factory with 4.11 gears. Watch out for the six cylinder models with 3.07 gears. I think that the best you can get with a six cylinder engine is 3.73 gears. (If you don't know what I am talking about higher gear ratios give you more off-the-line acceleration and low speed power, while lower gear ratios let you go faster, but no one really needs to go that fast in a Jeep anyway.) If you are going to be using the vehicle off road a lot the four cylinder might be a good choice, just because of the axle ratio, but a lot depends on sand vs. mud vs. rock crawling vs. logging roads. Stay away from wimpy coil spring TJs.

The Sahara, Islander, and Rio Grande packages tend to be appearance or accessory packages, with nothing really exciting for off road. None of them have a really heavy duty granny-low transmission for example, although some might have the heavier Dana 44 rear axle.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Thanks Earle,

I've been looking for a Wrangler, or possibly a CJ around here, but they are as rare as an honest politician if you want one in decent shape. There is a

1988 Wrangler at a local dealer that just turned up, so I am going to check into that. It looks pretty rough as far as the interior and the hard top, but it is pretty much rust free which is hard to find here. I'm not too concerned about the running gear in whatever I find. If the running gear is good then that's fine, and if not I'll either do an engine swap or maybe the 4.0 stroker thing. I originally intended to do a V8 swap of some sort, but after reading about the stroker, I am definitely considering that as an option if whatever I buy has a tired engine. I figured most of these options were probably cosmetic, but I appreciate the info.

Chris

JEEP TJ

This depends on how you define it. A "lower" gear ratio, according to the way many people define it, actually has a higher numerical value. This is of course crazy. I should have said "higher number" and "lower number" to remove any trace of ambiguity. To make it real simple, stay away from the

3.07.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Found the window sticker from my '95 YJ Rio Grande yesterday. Rio Grande package includes clothe seats, rear seat, 4 speaker stereo with padded sound bar & dome light, carpet, reclining front seats, and a couple other appearence items. No different suspension or drive train modifcations.

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLT 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep YJ Rio Grande ASE Certified Master Auto Tech + L1 TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM

Reply to
Old Crow