Advice: New wrangler unlimited?

Am looking for new vehicle. Am very tall. Wranglers have the headroom and the Unlimited has enough legroom (yes, that extra inch does matter). I don't go off road all that often, but I like to be in good hands when I do. And the wranger seems to be a lot of fun. The Honda Pilot would be my other choice.

Is the new Wrangler Unlimited a good choice? Are they reasonably reliable, or do the wranglers still have a lot of problems? Are the '07 models going to be that much better?

I notice that the 06 warranty is only 3yr/36000mi, where the 05 was 7 years. Is there a message in that?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
ibuildthings

Oops, one other thing: The window stickers say 14 mpg city, 19 hwy. I drove a 1997 TJ and got 18 mostly city. Did something get worse? What kind of mileage are you getting?

Thanks again

Reply to
ibuildthings

first off nothing is like a jeep. second i have a jeep with 150k miles and still going strong, my friend has 250k miles never been rebuilt and still takes it out to go rock climbing and trail riding. aslong as u change oil when you should and mantain it like you should with anyother car you will be fine

Reply to
Jon

I looked at the unlimited a year ago and decided against it for three reasons.

  1. It didn't have fulltime 4wd. That would be a disadvantage for me as I would use it for traveling in all kinds of weather. I checked into the possibility of swapping out the transfer case for a selectrac type transfer case, but the dealer said that couldn't be done.
  2. It seems a bit sluggish when accelerating. It does have the zip that my Cherokee does. Must be geared differently and I am use to a quick acceleration.
  3. Given the above two factors, I think that it is priced a bit high.

On the other hand it will likely be less expensive to maintain than the Pilot. When Hondas go bad they seem to be very expensive to fix.

I am not sure what you mean by wranglers having a lot of problems. I have a 99 and it has been very reliable. In fact in my three jeeps, GC,Cherokee, and wrangler I have had very good luck with them.

For my money I would go with full time fwd.

Larry

Reply to
larry

Oop, on Item 2, I meant to say "It does not have the zip that my Cherokee does."

Reply to
larry

Talk about apples and oranges. Since you are asking this question, I recommend you buy the Honda. You buy a Jeep because you want a Jeep.

Warranty lengths change with the winds. They are more of an incentive than a reflection of the vehicle's reliability. There ARE exceptions to that, of course, on both sides. Look at the Kia's warranty (10 yr??) You'd think it was one of the most reliable vehicles out there. :)

tw _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 > Am looking for new vehicle. Am very tall. Wranglers have the headroom and

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

The jeep is definately more fun to drive. That would cinch the deal for me, unless the board collectively told me to go to auto mechanics' school before buying a Jeep.

I bought a VW New Beetle for my wife several years ago, because it was much more fun to drive than the Camry we were looking at. The VW has had more mechanical troubles than Camry's do, although I would still make the same decision. It really is a lot of fun.

Reply to
ibuildthings

Nope, no reason to do that. Although it's always better to know as much as you can about your vehicle, no matter what it is. If you end up modding your Jeep, you will learn TONS. This place is a great resource.

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase') A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80" wheelbase, 1/4-ton capacity and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in World War II. _____________________________________________________________________

Reply to
twaldron

I have an 05 Rubi Unlimited. I'd advise that you go to the dealer and sit in one and close the door. My biggest complaint is the shoulder width. I have to lean to the middle to clear my shoulders on the roll bar. Still, I wouldn't trade it for the world. It's the best car/truck I've ever bought. Simple/Bulletproof/Reliable/Moddable to the end of time.

If you like to work on things, than the Wrangler is for you. If you want

20mph and a trouble free ride, go get the honda.
Reply to
mark

20mph? I'm sure they can go faster'n that! :)

( lurker out of hiding for a moment-lol ) R.

Reply to
XpressMale

I currently own a 04 Unlimited. I'm 6'5" and fit just fine in the front and it's just a little tight in the back. (of course that may be the baby' seat.)

If you're comparing the two, get the Honda Pilot. You won't regret buying it, because it's the "safe" choice.

95 YJ RIP 99 WJ RIP 02 TJ RIP
Reply to
Chad Fraker

That's exactly why _I_ would regret buying it! ;)

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 > I currently own a 04 Unlimited. I'm 6'5" and fit just fine in the front and

Reply to
twaldron