2002 Kia Sedona - Spontaneous Windshield Cracks - Above Average Occurences?

I have a 2002 Sedona. At about 9K miles the windshield developed a crack. Not thinking that the dealer might fix it gratis I let my insurance pick up much of the cost (less $250 deductible) and had an installer come out to the house. Now at 39K miles the replacement windshield has a new crack without a telltale impact crater visible. The crack started at the bottom middle of the windshield and in several days has grown 10 times in size. I talked to the dealer and they said that they've never heard of that kind of problem occurring on an above average number of Sedonas. I've read of others' experiences here and on other forums.

Do I have a good case to get the dealer to cover the cost?

Reply to
Celtfire

I had the same on an early 2001 Sedona as did a friend. NO impact craters. Unfortunately both vehicles were out of warranty, this was before the introduction of the unlimited 3 year warranty in the UK.

Reply to
Scraggy

Well, I took the van in to Santa Ana Kia (in "the OC"), the service manager looked at the crack and agreed with me that there're were no impact marks and so the damage was a consequence of design or installation. He said that Kia extends warranty on Sedona windshields for 60,000 miles. The repair will be done at no cost to me.

I must say that in the last 3.5 years all of my dealings with Santa Ana Kia have been highly professional and courteous. I don't believe that I can say that about any other dealer anywhere.

Reply to
Celtfire

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 17:24:32 -0700, Celtfire pretented somebody gave a rat's ass and spewed forth:

Hmm, that's interesting to read. I am on my third windshield. The first was replaced after getting hit three times by stones. The first two were repairable the third caused a crack across the windshield. I had to replace it again after something flew off a pickup and struck my windshield on the passenger side.

You actually drove your Sedona in Santa Ana and lived? :)

Reply to
PerfectReign

Two days after getting my '02 (now traded in for an '04) home, I got the same crack. They said it was due to a stone, and my insurance took care of it.

Curious problems these have had.

Green Valley Giant

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt