Re: 2001 Kia Optima acceleration drop out problem

I just bought a 2001 Kia Optima new (been setting on the lot). It has

> a acceration drop out problem... when accelerating in 2nd and 3rd it's > like fuel stops being sent to the engine for a short period of time > enough to make it jerk... occassionally it happens in other gears, and > sometimes a lot worse than others. I have run it through 5 tanks of > gas (just in case the gas was bad/old). Our Kia dealership (Shelby, > NC) said they couldn't do anything until the computer "Posts" a code. > Otherwise the car has been exellent.. decent gas mileage, great ride, > etc. Any idea's???... should I write Kia a message?? > > > JT

Yes I would that's the only way to get through them, they don't want to admit that's a common problem with this particular model car...I experience it right now.

Reply to
mikelv247

had a similiar problem with my daughters sportage. Turned out to be a few things, we bought the car on eBay so we didn't have much of a background on it. it would drop out as yours did. here is what we changed.

  1. Fuel filter
  2. added dry gas to tank to absob water
  3. changed charcoal filter (was saturated)
  4. good injector cleaner and air filter
  5. dropped fuel tank to check intake filter at fuel pump. discovered a crack in the vacuum return line going to the charcoal cannister. this was probabily the problem.It would open when the engine was at stress and pulled against the line which was clamped too tight against the firewall.

that solved 90% of the problem. we developed a squeeking when moisture was in the air. wound up changing the timing belt (60,000 miles), pulleys and water pump, while we had it apart. Same labor, just cost of parts.

hope that helps. Never went back to the dealer, I have 2 Kia's and trust my mechanic who is dedicated to his work. Stayed up till 11pm on New Years to finish my daughters car, rather then disapoint her.

Reply to
helix