About the spare tire...

Another question (I'm full of them, huh?) about the spare I just mounted tonight -

About how many miles do spares last as a general rule? I'm not sure if mine is a full-size spare. It *looks* like it is, but then again the car seems to tilt slightly toward where the spare is so maybe it's smaller after all.

How much can I drive on it? Thanks!

CG

Reply to
Courtney Huber

The mini-spare should be clearly marked on the sidewall stating a maximum speed and distance.

*if* your spare is identical to the other tires, I see no reason why you can't use it a long time. If it's a different tire, different tread, etc., then I would get the other one fixed/replaced. Is your spare properly inflated? It's not uncommon to have a flat spare (or very low pressure) from it sitting so long.

The difference in size between the mini-spare and the full-size tire should be pretty obvious. I would check your spare tire against the others and see if it is the same make/model with similar treadware. Also, check the size as well, and see if it's the same. For example, if the rest are P205/70R15 and the spare is different, I would get your regular tire back on as soon as you can.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Garth Vader

As far as I know.. most Kia's carry a mini spare. I only used it once, but I put at least 100 miles on it. I know they recommend at most I think 100. I also drove way over the recommended 45 or 50 mph. But then again I have always abused my spare tires. The most I ever got, on my Olds Delta 88 was like 4 months and a couple thousand miles before I wore the tire completely out one day and it just lost air completely. So, really as long as you take it easy and make sure it stays full of air, it could theoretically last you a decent amount of time, but still nothing to be dependent upon. I would recommend getting your tire fixed ASAP.

Reply to
Sijuki

My Sedona came with a full size spare with an alloy rim. I'm pretty sure the Sorento also has a full size spare so the tire is probably just underinflated from sitting so long.

Joe Fugazzi

Reply to
Joe Fugazzi