Replace Dodge Omni with...?

Could you knowledgable folk suggest a replacement for my '89 Dodge Omni America (aka Plymouth Horizon)? It's an automatic, 4 door hatchback. I want a similar, or slightly larger, 3 to 4 year old used car with good cargo space, to drive 5,000 miles/yr. without too much aggravation, despite my NYC metro location. :)

I like my Omni and want similar features:

1- Good mpg - 24/28 (better is better); 2- Small outside, roomy inside (15.6 cu.ft. "trunk" - more is more); 3- Hatchback & folding seat let me lug bulky or long stuff; hard hatch cover keeps stuff out of sight; 4- Peppy driving - always first away from red light w/o trying; 5- Inexpensive - to buy, operate & insure (relatively speaking); 6- Convenient - good visibility, easy to park, rear washer/wiper; 7- Simple & Sturdy - real bumpers, manual windows, locks, mirrors, etc. (only power steering), fuel injection, stainless steel exhaust (still OEM.)

Thanks for your input. Google hasn't helped much. - RDG

Reply to
rschng