Speedometer

I have a 2004 KIA Sedona and have already put 22k miles on it. I love the van. I only have one problem with it. When traveling on the highway, the speedometer will sometimes just start going back and forth, usually when I have cruise control on, which of course it turns off as soon as the needle shoots down to zero. Doesn't happen all the time, but it happens enough to be annoying. I took it into the dealer and they ordered a new dash assembly for it and installed it. After that, it still happened. They know say that there is nothing wrong with it, but they just haven't drove it when it does it. In fact, on the way home from the dealer it happened again.

Has anyone else seen this problem? How can I convince the dealer that I'm not crazy and it is actually happening?

Reply to
Mike Schmidt

Doesn't sound like the dash module, sounds more like a bad sending unit which I believe is located on the tranny. If it's all electronic then it could be a bad ground.

Cheers - Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan Race

Hi Mike, Take your video camera along with you the next time you are on the highway and planning to use the cruise. When it starts to act up - tape it. That should be proof enough for the dealer. Good Luck, Mike

Reply to
Mike Allen

Best way to prove it would be a videocamera. That way you can capture the malfunction and prove that it's acting up. If replacing the speedometer head assembly did not fix it then I would suspect a problem with the wiring between the vehicle speed sensor and the speeometer. Does the check engine light come on when it acts up? Does the transmission downshift or otherwise exhibit any different behavior when it acts up? If not..it sounds like a wiring/connector plug or ground connection problem.

Reply to
Hal