timing belt

i have a 1998 kia sephia looks like timing belt went about 60 mph is this worth repairing and what other damage may have occured

Reply to
dennislmccord

=== If the valves have struck the pistons the enginge is going to require a rebuilding. If this is the case I would junk it unless your going to do the rebuilding and don't mind the cost.

Reply to
KybonaWhogonna

Recently had this happen on a high mileage (160k) Toyota Rav4 that I use to carry crap back and forth to the boat. Despite all the scare stories, no damage other than the belt. I had them replace the water pump, a couple of weeping seals and the serpentine belt while they were in there. The repair bill was equal to about 2 monthly car payments on a new car.

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

You are comparing apples with oranges , belt failure on Toyotas doesn't wipe out the engine , had one fail on a Camry , it just quit and coasted to a stop.

Reply to
Phil

I don't believe that to be true. If the timing belt breaks on ANY engine, it CAN result in valves meeting pistons. You and I were just lucky.

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

The tune up places can tell you if it can or not , the term I think they use is 'free wheeling ' on Kias it definitely WILL , not luck involved.

Reply to
Phil

The Kia engines, at least the Sorento engine, is an "interference engine". In those, the pistons and valves are so close together that when the belt goes, the valves could find themselves in the "open" position while the pistons are still cycling. The resulting crash between the two will cause severe damage to the engine.

Here are a couple of links which might help:

->

->

Tim Lapin

One of my gotta listen to shows !

Reply to
Phil

The 01 Rio I have was completely destroyed. New motor to fix it.

A leakdown test will see it valves were damaged. Removing the head will let you know if it can be repaired IF there is damage.

-SP

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
Speedy Pete