101 - It's Oh so hot....

Been for a session in Morph, God it gets hot! Should there be a seal around the engine lid? Morph only has a seal along the frontmopst edge but there's finger sized gaps all over the place. Not to mention several holes that need plating over from compressor hoses and such like.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Just seen the club do cover seal £2.75 a metre but can any one tell me where it runs??

Anyone recommend some flame retardent insulation as the existing stuff is past it's best.

Tom - You got any pictures of that creation yet?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Erm... around the rim of the engine cover! It's like edge protector (U shaped metal ribbed stuff) but with a rubber hose stuck to the side

- if that makes sense!.

Reply to
Mother

Makes sense ,, does it do the rear most edge too?

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

I have just had NoiseKiller make me a new liner for my 101 engine cover

- 75 quid all in, and its the lead lined stuff too ! I collect it in the morning. They have made all the necessary templates to do more too.

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

I had a length off a car that a mate was scrapping, its the standard stuff that goes around the doors. Its a bugger to get it to stay in place whilst you put the cover on, so I've put some tiny self tappers alog its length to hold it in place. Makes a lot of difference.

I don't think you are alone with cooking. I absolutely baked on the way home on sunday! As for the holes, I'm never ceased to be amazed by how much air, be it hot or cold, can come through a rivet hole. On the GS I have a missing door rubber (on the list) its great in the summer, not so much fun in the winter, esp in rain!!

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

Doesn't on my GS, don't know about an ambi.

Reply to
Graham G

Let me know how you get on, might be interested in giving them a call. Ambi cover same as GS?

Reply to
Graham G

That 1 inch angle is too hard for drill bits!.

My cover is in place, and has its covers sitting on it, but i can't get an M6 drill through it (i intend to tap it, and then screw my covers down).

I also cant get my welded frame onto my dads pillar drill to drill it there cos some bugger has left a saab in the way!

I'm not sure wether my cover is better than the original item or not. Its going to be easier to cover, It seals a lot better, and its much easier to get at the engine (my top cover lifts off - i replaced my alternater with ease the other day!), and you get more access - its got nasty corners round yer knees though.

I am tempted to modify my proper 101 cover and make the top removable, and then alter the way that the sides fix down.. S'not gonna happen till the winter though.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Youre welcome to pop round sometime and examine the work so far if you like - see if it gives you any inspiration.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Yes.

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

On or around Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:27:44 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

sounds exactly like normal car door seal stuff, which of course can be blagged from any dead car. I used it on the door seals on the series - top tip from a mate; rather than buy new LR seals and arse around rivetting them on, instead, cut the lip off the bit where the seal goes and use ordinary car door seal stuff as described. Works fine.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:46:14 +0100, "Graham G" enlightened us thusly:

If you're re-using it, you can usefully close up the rubber-and-metal bit to make it fit tighter, before fitting it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yep, follows the entire cover - all around the inward lip.

Reply to
Mother

Did that, there are one ore two tight bends that it is a job to get it to stay in place, particularly if you are wrestling with the cover.

Reply to
Graham G

Self-tappers then ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Thats exactly what it got! Saved a lot of swearing!

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

Steve have you given it a test run yet? How long does it take to cook a full English now? Very interested in this.... how long did it take them to knock one up?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Hi Lee, I took the cover of my 101 into them and said that there was a pretty fair chance we would need more, so they have made a kit of bits and all the templates for us. The kit is self-adhesive, and provided the surfaces are clean, the stuff sticks like the proverbial to a blanket.

I'm collecting it in the morning (they keep funny hours) and then we are off on a trip to Lincoln. I'll let you know how we get on. We have a sound pressure meter at work, and I am going to get some before (no cover) before (cover on, no liner) and after. measurements.

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

I wish I had some air conditioning in my Vancouver apt to enjoy while reading!

is sounding so tempting... to do or not to do? That is the question. What do you all do to cool it down???

Reply to
jeanblake80