12 seat 110 DVLA ? D1 ?

Have just been told by school I cannot drive minibus as I have no D1 on my license. However I passed in 1975 so could drive it ( old A E category ) ? Not really bothered re school bus, but it struck me after seeing the DVLA site that I may need to get a D1 on any renewed license I get which involves another medical ? Anyone know the situation regards this. ( medical is no problem I hasten to add, just the hastle )

John H

Reply to
Hirsty's

You should be fine - even for school

tuart

Reply to
Srtgray

I did check with DVLA as well after posting and they assured me no proble; also when and if I renew my license it will automatically include D1 and no medical hassle. However jobsworth at workplace say otherwise. Gonna cause a hell of a problem in schools as very few have the D1 !

JoH

Reply to
Hirsty's

Just slide the page with the facts under the nose of Jobsworth, Jobsworth can ammend their crib sheet accordingly for future Jobsworthyness.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

All I had to do for my school was do a test of competence, which was run by a chap from the loacl bus company. He was very complimentary - when I mentioned that I drove Land Rovers, he commented that most of the good minibus drivers he sees also drive them.

Mind you, my licence (from 1989) has D1 and D1+E (trailer) on it.

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

On or around Tue, 04 Jul 2006 17:07:27 +0200, Srtgray enlightened us thusly:

You can drive up to 16 passengers on a class "D1 category restriction 1" which is what everyone who passed before 1/1/97 has, PROVIDED it's not for hire and reward. Hire and reward has quite a broad definition, though, but I doubt it includes volunteers driving the school bus - unless you get paid for the said driving.

full D1 is PSV/PCV territory, both bus and driver. If the bus is on a class IV MOT and not PSV tested, then it's not legit for hire and reward anyway...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

|| You can drive up to 16 passengers on a class "D1 category || restriction 1" which is what everyone who passed before 1/1/97 has, || PROVIDED it's not for hire and reward. Hire and reward has quite a || broad definition, though, but I doubt it includes volunteers driving || the school bus - unless you get paid for the said driving.

The "hire and reward" isn't for the driver, it's for the bus itself AIUI. If the passengers pay for the trip, then it's H&R, regardless of whether the driver is paid or not.

I used to drive a 16-seater Transit minibus and a 53-seater coach for my school on a car licence in the 70s/80s. The dodge was that pupils did not pay for the trips - instead they made a "voluntary" contribution to school fund, which then paid for the diesel. I wasn't paid, except in my capacity as a teacher in the school. That was well dodgy even then - I imagine that loophole (if such it was) has been closed by now.

BTW, I *loved* driving the coach.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

sadly it sdoes refer to the driver, which is problem where scholl staff drive minibuses, but not volunteers from the community / paretns etc

Reply to
Martyn H

On or around 6 Jul 2006 15:42:45 -0700, "Martyn H" enlightened us thusly:

it's easy to not make a profit for the vehicle, you just cover the diesel and so forth. But there's the personal bit about the driver, too - if you get paid as a teacher that day then the law could argue that you're being paid to drive the bus.

I suppose you could take a day's unpaid leave. But who wants to do that?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Just been informed by school that the old A E group is OK so long as I let them photocopy the evidence . Hmm, seems like another problem I had of the Tacho needed in EU for 12 seats. What they got against LR ?

Ta for the info

Reply to
Hirsty's

12 seats was an Old Uk car tax /VAT dodge - making the 109" SW a minibus rather than a car

mosr sensible places had 9 or 10 seat SWs 2 or 3 + 3 + 4 (2 each side)

Reply to
Martyn H

Plenty of UK 110's are actually 10 Seaters in reality.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd