2.6 instead of 2,25?

Hi,

I have a practically new (18k km) 2.6l engine from my Forward Control which, in the long run, should be replace there with a 200tdi. I am now thinking about replacing the 2,25 petrol of my 109 IIa with the 6 cylinder.

Are there any points, except fuel consumption (is it really much worse?) which speak against this idea?

Raoul

Reply to
Raoul Donschachner

Yes, you need to modify the engine mounts, gearbox mounts, gearbox crossmember, fit 2.6 propshafts (if you can find em) and modify the bulkhead, transmission tunnel, change throttle/choke linkages, fit a completely different exhaust, larger fuel tank, bigger brakes, change the fuel pump, and a host of little niggly changes like moving the air cleaner/battery tray.

All that for a bit more torque and a 14mpg thirst. (I get 16mpg with an overdrive on a long run) It won't go any faster unless you fit an overdrive, as the 2.6 red-lines lower than a 2.25 (and has a limiter) Round town the fuel bill is crippling, I've never measured it but I suspect I don't get more than 10mpg. Forget it, you might as well fit a V8 or a TDi.

Ever wondered why not many people want the 2.6?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

My Series2a 2.6 lwb safari used to give 9.8 mpg - slightly better on a long journey - but exactly the same when towing.

No way would I go back to a 2.6 from a diesel. I went to a series 111 lwb safari diesel that gave 23 mpg on the same journeys, and only dropped to 21 when I fitted a turbocharger but the performance was hugely better (like going up a hill in top that previously needed a change down to second ! (Wrotham Hill in Kent)

Andrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Err, I believe I understand... ;)

Didn´t know that the engine is that much longer so that the gearbox has to be moved. Wouldn´t have asked ;-)

Raoul Raoul

Reply to
Raoul Donschachner