200Tdi Head.

Simple question: Can the 200Tdi cylinder head be skimmed ? According to the service manual it can't, according to my engine re-bore man, it can. Who is right !

Thanks

Steve

Reply to
Steve Tayior

On or around Mon, 28 Feb 2005 12:33:23 +0000, Steve Tayior enlightened us thusly:

boogered if I know.

is it suspected to have been cooked, or is it just old?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Boogered if I know either - I put the thing on a surface plate at work, and I couldn't see any warping, but I am still at a loss to explain what popped the middle two pistons on the engine I am rebuilding...No signs of blown gasket AFAIK, no marks on the head.

Mis-clamped when reassembled ?

Anyhow -its BEEN reskimmed, so I'm knackered now, if there is a problem with having it done.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

We've had several done with no comment from the engine place, including mine (well, more of a severe polish really on mine).

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

IME yes but.... there's a slight possibility of valves and pistons meeting after a skim. You can overcome this by re-cutting the valve seats to move the valves back into the head by the same amount you skim off it.

Reply to
EMB

Thanks for all your help, and Richard and Austin. I am relieved to hear its alright to do it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Bit late but rest assured it will be fine. I have had loads done with no problems.

-- Marc

FOR SALE : DISCOVERY II (02) SERENGETTI 7SEAT 39,000 MILES FSH DISCOVERY II (51) GS7, ACE, SLS, CLIMATE,67,000 MILES B.F.G AT'S DISCOVERY TDI R REG EPSOM GREEN, 7SEATS, AC, AW. DISCOVERY TDI M REG VAN 100,000 MILES.

Reply to
Marc Draper

Phew, thanks for the sanity check Marc.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

On or around Tue, 01 Mar 2005 07:46:32 +1300, EMB enlightened us thusly:

I suspect there are graded gaskets, if so, fit the fattest one.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Hi,

AFAIK there are three different types of head gaskets and their difference is their thickness. The easy way to check what is what is by looking at how many holes there are in the visible part of the head gasket when fitted on the engine. One hole is the thinner, two holes is the medium thickness (and usually fitted on the engines when they leave the factory) and three holes for the thicker variant. I guess it would be prudent to fit the thicker type when skimming the head.

Have not done it but it sounds logical.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos