300tdi improvements

well I think I got the cruise control working today. traced the vacuum hoses to the pump and found it disconnected. repaired all the split ends on the pipes.

removed the egr and blanked it off.

removed the intercooler and cleaned it out with paraffin.

put it all back together and it seems to be running okay.

fixed the connection for the tacho on the alternator.

Reply to
tiscali

'96 300 tdi diesel auto.

Cruise control seems erratic. Sometimes doesn't switch on.

Only tested it so far up to 50mph. Seems to take a few attempts to switch it on but once it's on it's fine and cruises at 50. After I brake the reset button doesnt seem to re-instate the speed, but I can hear it switching behind the passenger footwell. Seems I have to switch off at the dash and then re-do the setting.

Is this normal behaviour or is there a fault? Where is the fault most likely to be?

At these speeds should I restrict the auto box to 3 gears to keep the revs up around 2k?

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
tiscali