300tdi tappet adjustment

Hi,

Can anyone tell me the metric measurement for the tappet clearence of a 300tdi Defender? 2mm?

I would also like to know how you open and close all the valves. Is the best way to jack one wheel up, put it in 5th and turn that wheel? I read this somewhere, but not sure if this is ok for a Defender. Last time (when I screwed the whole lot up and ended up taking it to a garage...)I had been scrumming down against the front bumper and pushing it down the drive, but there must be an easier way and it seems that anyone should be able to do it.

Thanks in advance

Guy

Reply to
Guy Lux

On or around 26 Jul 2003 12:23:57 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Guy Lux) enlightened us thusly:

0.2mm in the book. slight difference. it warns you against turning the engine with excessive clearances. about 8 thou, IIRC.

book say remove glowplugs, then engine easy to turn, using a socket on the crank-pulley-bolt. it also say:

valve fully open valve to check

8 1 6 3 4 5 7 2 1 8 3 6 5 4 2 7

which saves unnecessary crank-turning.

spose I ought to do that on ours, I doubt it's been done for ages. Book interval is at 6, 18, 30 etc, i.e. every 12000 starting at 6. seeing as I'm just doing the 78K service, it's due anyway.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Guy if you can get hold of a copy of the June issue of "LANDROVER Owner International"there's an article on there headed "defender service" secrets you wont find in the manual, and it answers in detail your question. Les....email: snipped-for-privacy@tiscaliNOSPAM.co.uk.. drop NOSPAM to reply

Reply to
Les Milner

On or around Sun, 27 Jul 2003 08:21:16 +0100, "Les Milner" enlightened us thusly:

cor, so it does. I'd not noticed that. doesn't tell you much more than the book does, mind.

further to this, just been doing ours.

how important are the little hats on top of the valve stems? I found one where the top has worn off it, just leaving a ring around the valve, and one that was missing altogether, presumed broken up and fallen into the sump.

I've adjusted the clearances, which except for these 2 were slightly over, maybe as much as 16 thou (0.4mm), as compared to the book value of 8 thou,

0.2mm.

I suppose the correct answer is to replace all 8 little hats.

I think I've just found out why you're supposed to check 'em though :-/

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Cheers Les,

Not going to be too easy to pick up a copy of LROI from last month, but I'll have a look in the local (luxembourg) newsagents and see what they have.

If I can't find it, i'll order a back issue (or I might come back and ask you for a short summary..... ;-)

Guy

Reply to
Guy Lux

On or around Sun, 27 Jul 2003 12:06:23 +0100, "Guy Lux" enlightened us thusly:

FWIW:

piece of wossname turning the engine: 24mm socket on the alternator pulley bolt, and a ratchet handle, turn clockwise, as if trying to tighten the nut. Didn't need to pull the glowplugs. Pipes to rad and intercooler get in the way a bit, but enough room for a couple of clicks on the ratchet. I assume the defender version has the serpentine multi-V drive belt. But an ordinary V belt should work the same. Actual adjustment very easy, follow that list of numbers, check and adjust. Correct clearance, again:

0.2mm, 0.008 inch. *don't* set 'em to 2mm! :-)

keep an eye out for dodgy "little hats", (dunno the official term for 'em) on top of the valve stems, found 2 broken/missing on ours.

There's an engine breather type thing on the side of the cover, held on by an 8mm-head bolt, this has an O-ring on it, which on ours is not oil-tight any more and explains the oil I'd noticed on the side of the engine, will replace it at the same time as the little hats on the valve stems, which I hope to source and fit on monday, before epic journey on tuesday.

Reply to
Austin Shackles