Re: Poor Tim has the 101 Blues...

Tim went to collect his 101 from Warren a short while ago...

> >There's good and bad news... > >The bad news is that it didn't make it back home, and is currently sat >outside Poggle Wood with Grumble and Bungle... > >The good news is that I now have plenty spares readily available :-) > >Tim will no doubt fill you in on the ongoing saga - which I reckon is >simply a 101s way of proving its new owner (I had all sorts of long >forgotten trials and tribulations when Grumble arrived). > >More good news is that I'm delighted to be able to bring you the first >exclusive pics of his smashing paint job (not quite finished in >places, but smashing all the same). > >
>Stick with it Tim, it really is worth the initial hassle.

The worst bit is that I've made Mandy late for her night out. That will cost me far more than any V8 ancillary in the RPI stockroom...

Still it's good that Martyn has published pictures showing that my 101 has a radiator grill and his does not. I shall be checking that this holds true when I go back to collect it!!

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Drat, drat and double drat...

Darn you Hobbs, you've foiled my evil plan...

WTD: Rad grille for a 101 - please :-)

Reply to
Mother

Have you sprayed it? I'm only asking as we have a tailgate on the RR a different colour than the original, some bits to do on the Discovery and this afternoon I have just picked up a set of sticks for the conversion on the Series 3 for £40m and very tidy pink tailgate for £10, from a chap who works for a landrover place in Lincoln. He also gave me a few bits so that we can temporarily remove the broken free wheeling hub and at least drive it.

Reply to
Nikki

So its parked up outside his house?! Do you have any like Victor Meldrew or do they just laugh at you. I bet they are asking themselves what you want another one for!

Reply to
Nikki

I thought 101 spares were expensive...

Reply to
Mother

Most of it!

The door tops (and also the bottoms funnily enough) are rotten, so I decided not to paint them. I found a mint door top (in a cream colour, oddly) at Gaydon for £40, but haven't got around to replacing the other 4 bits yet.

My spraying is not of very good quality. But one day, it will be!

£40 for a set of sticks is a good deal if they are in any sort of shape. He didn't have another set did he?

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

In article , Mother writes

Oh disappointment!

Having seen the earlier pic, I was hoping for the finishing touches to that version - a simple, but beautifully executed GWR logo, and perhaps the word "Pullman" discreetly over a wheel arch or something (and some nice net curtains).

Regards,

Simonm. In the WEST country.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

One of the bits stalls at Billing was selling grilles. they wanted £45 for a 101 one! You could probably get a nice stainless one made for less than that!

Reply to
Tom Woods

It's looking very nice!. Thats a good choice of colour!. Im very jealous!. I might go out and get some nitromors and make a start on mine!...

You can get away with not so good spraying on a landrover As long as you dont have any obvious runs then they look good! You should be pretty good now anyway if youve done the whole of the 101!

I sprayed my 2A with hammerite. Its got that loverly orange peely texture that youre supposed to avoid having (a feature of the hammered hammerite i used!), but still looks pretty good (imho anyhow!)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Time for an engine upgrade? :). There might be a nice one in that purple 101 that seems to have been parked near yours... :) Perhaps you could swap it for a grille...

Sorry!. I hope that you get there with the 101 soon..

Is it not time to start pulling the actual engine apart?. You seem to have changed all the ancilliary bits!

Reply to
Tom Woods

We were joking about that earlier.

Mandy hasn't realised that I'm putting a 4.8 litre in it, just a bit at a time! Actually, I do intend to put a new cam and timing gear on it at some point. When it goes well the engine has all the power I need (which is hardly the point I know), but I was hammering along a fast A-road at 55-60 today and actually got some fairly scary understeer! I also overtook two trucks going up a steep hill!

Have you got yours running right yet?

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Whats the next plan of action with the engine then? Atleast it goes well some of the time!

I managed to overtake an old man in a micra last week :) I think that the 101 was scaring him, as he was going fairly fast until i caught him up!. That was on the flat though. I crawl up hills in 2nd :(

Still not finished with the rad removal. Will get at it with the hacksaw tomorrow! (damn old jubilee clips!). I got distracted today by my mother insisting i started clearing out my old bedroom back at their house. She did have a good point though!.. Does anybody wasnt some Atari ST's?. Ive got 6!. Free to a good home!...

Reply to
Tom Woods

They are all there. In good condition, just a bit dusty and covered in cobwebs, and I think it was the only set he had.

Reply to
Nikki

Eight and a half.

Roughly!

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Sound like it needs an endine transplant.

Reply to
Nikki

Are we talking the 5 litre dobbies or the ones the size of a paperback book...(sorry it's the best description I could think of for the last tin I had!)

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Blimey! He's very commited isn't he ;-)

We will be there and if you get stuck then I can offer my driveway for a stop over

I can see Trentham Gardens off road course if I stand on the roof (please don't ask me to...I don't do heights too well!)

:-)

And I've got a grill....but my front bulkheads seen better days ;-)

Yup...cast your mind back to the 6 or 7 really icey nights we had earlier in the year when persisnat little me spent 6 of them under Morph until the wee small hours trying desperately to make the brakes brake....well I aborted and for the second time in er....a lot of years sent it to the local none franchised guys to sort..VERY..Very frustrating, turned out I had a broken adjuster and a leaking seal which weren't obious but solved by the process of elimination.

Tension that week was most high...infact it's a shame you can't run V8's on it , I'd have been ok for fuel for the next 10 years much like yourself presently. At least you know now why it took 2 years to do my simple engine swap :-) on Percy.

Lee.

-- Project Percy - Jaguar 4.2 and Auto in to Series IIa 88 see it @

101Ambi '76 / IIa - Percy '64 / Rangie TD '90

alt.fan.landrover hall of fame -

Lee_D

IIRC you live in Sheffield dont you. My girlfriend comes from that area and when she saw the pictures asked if your house was near Gods Little Green Acre (bramall lane) cos she thought she recognised it....She used to live in Rawmarsh, Meadowbank, Wickersley, Kimberworth Park to name but a few........ We occasionally pop up there too, more so when the footy season is on.

My neighbors find it quite amusing too with the vehicles we have. An Uno, being filled with scrap to be weighed in as the front subframe is seiously shot, a S3 swb chassis, SJ410, Lotus 7 replica, Pug 106 and the Beast. Only the last two are taxed and tested!!

I haven't told them I'm going to look at a Lightweight unfinished restoration project next week..... I'm thinking of changing my name to Steptoe......

-- Simon Isaacs

Peterborough 4x4 Club Chairman and Webmaster

3.5V8 100" Hybrid Suzuki SJ410 (Girlfirend) Series 3 88" Rolling chassis...what to do next Pug 106 (offroaded once!!)
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

The big fellas I'm afraid. Actually, I reckon I could do the next one with a bit less, but a lot depends on how many layers of paint you have on. Rumour has it that it may be worth doing a bit with a pressure washer. I used a whole tin down the right hand side of mine and had a huge pile of paint on the floor and perfect and unblemished cammo on the truck. I reckon there were 10 layers at least.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Bit by bit it's getting one!

Tim Hobbs