'90 Rangie - won't change up from 1st when cold..

Title says it all - as of the last couple of weeks my Rangie (1990 3.9L autobox model, uses the 4-speed ZF 'box) has become very reluctant to change out of 1st until it's been driven for ~5 minutes. I'm assuming it's the sticky-governor problem:

and intend tackling it with (a) full fluid/filter change on the autobox and if that doesn't work then (b) the procedure described in the article. However, if the group has any advice on easier ways of sorting it out then I'd appreciate it.

Reply to
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN

from

Hope that helps

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Ta. Much appreciated. I'll try solutions in order (a)-(b)-(c) where (a) is just cleaning the thing out, (b) is cleaning the governer and (c) is putting a recon. 'box in it. At least the bits aren't that steeply priced.. (for selected values of 'aren't that steeply', of course)

Reply to
ANDREW ROBERT BREEN