90TD rattle (bl**dy annoying)

Hi, I'm getting a very annoying rattle from the mid-to-front of my 90 (underneath or engine compartment). It doesn't happen when stationary, only when moving, in gear or in neutral. It is a very loud sharp intermittent rattle, almost a clattering noise (like a chain grabbing and slipping on a cog). I can sometimes drive for miles before it will start, then it stops, then starts again, no regular time periods. It can be heard inside and out. Performance and handling seem unaffected.

Yes, I've been underneath and poked around but can find nothing loose. I'm sure its not a loose washer or stray nut inside the body, it's just too damn loud for that. Of course it doesn't bloody happen when still. I've thought about tying my mate underneath (Cape Fear style) to listen/locate it when moving, but he won't do it!

Any ideas?????????? Its driving me bananas.

Angus

Reply to
Fentoozler

Custard. That's what you need.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

check your propshaft UJ's (front obviously).

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

Leave the handbrake off, chock the wheels and get underneath and see if the handbrake drum is loose, as that causes interesting rattles and clonks, but is undetectable when the handbrake is on.....

Alex

Reply to
Alex