Fiesta 1.1 clutch rattle

My Fiesta's clutch makes a loud rattling noise as it rotates. The noise comes directly from the clutch housing and it really sounds as though something it coming loose in there. It's a sort of hard clicking rattle mixed with a crunching sound. The clutch was renewed a couple of months ago and the car itself continues to run quite smoothly, but the noise is far too loud for me to ignore it.

It's louder when I've just started and with the engine cold than it is when it's warmed up.

Can anyone tell me/forecast for me what's likely to have happened/likely to happen next, please?

Mike (Mike Roberts)

Reply to
Mike

Difficult to be sure but being as it should make no noise at all, there must be something the matter which only a dismantle will reveal.

I think you have to bite the bullet.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Robin Graham

Was it (hopefully) renewed by a garage? If so take it back. If not...you're going to have to take it to bits again before it goes bang.

Chances are it's going to fail. Probably right where you don't want it to.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

the only thing that I can think would make a noise as described is if one of the cushioning springs in the drive plate has fallen out. was it a genuine clutch? It will have to be dismantled to know for certain though

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Sounds like when you had the clutch assembly replaced some dingbat didn't use the opportunity to replace the release bearing at the same time. Does the noise continue/change frequency/go crunchy when you put pressure on the clutch pedal? DaveK.

Reply to
davek