Advice - 1996 300tdi 90

Hmm

Seems that i may have possibly put a deposit on one.... :)

Is there anything special to look out for on it that could be broken?

Its from a LR Garage, so i can get stuff sorted before i get it.

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

On or around Thu, 22 Feb 2007 03:38:15 +0900, Mark Solesbury enlightened us thusly:

check up on the cambelt, get it changed and sorted if necessary...

apart from that, those 100A alternators are rather prone to fail, it seems. Had a genuine parts one on ours when we got it and another replacement (non-genuine) shortly before we sold it. Bearings seem to go in 'em.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Check the usuals.... bulkhead top corners, rear crossmember, bulkhead outriggers etc - and of course the dreaded geabox clunk! Oh, and have a look at the brackets on the rear axle where the radius arm attaches, just to be on the safe side. It's always worth having a "why did the last owner sell it" hat on when looking at a car (or anything else for that matter) - chances are they just wanted a newer one, but you never know....

As Austin says, check that the timing belt has either been done, or there is definate evidence of when it was last done. If in doubt, get it done. Also check if it has, or needs, the timing belt mod - though by now it's probably been sorted out or didn't need it. Check that the serpantine belt is the correct one - a number of alternator/tensioner failures we've seen would appear to be from the wrong one being fittted (non LR gararges are apt to stick on one thats "about the right length") which can lead to it being too tight and causing problems, or too slack and causing very expensive problems.

That's not a definitive list, but a good starting point.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Got any photos ? Most probably mine is worst than yours !!! Will post photos soon.

Reply to
HishamClan