Air Cleaner Dump Valve - LR90

Hi All,

After around five years of ownership I discovered in the handbook the need to check the air cleaner dump valve for blockage and condition.

This I attempted to do earlier today - I do not have one and as far as I can tell never have since purchasing.

Looking at the detail I assume that the engine has been sucking in 'un-filtered' air all this time?

I guess that the damage is done and it's too late to do anything about it now. I do about 4k miles per year around mid Norfolk so it is likely that quite a bit of dust has been inhaled into the NA diesel engine.....

Is it worth buying a dump valve and fitting or should I just plug the hole?

Regards

Richard

Reply to
RichardB

The dump valve will be on the 'dirty' side of the filter - no damage done.

Reply to
Dougal

Dougal,

Thanks for the clarification. Good to know I've not caused damage to be done!

Regards

Richard

Reply to
RichardB

I thought there were two of them, one drainpipe style one on the dirty side, and another whoopee cushion style one on the clean side on the filter itself? ISTR having a branch sticking out of the one on the air filter!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Ian - your descriptions are lost on me!

The normal one is the rubber nipple on the underside of the main filter housing (and/or possibly on any plumbing leading to it) to allow any water that may have entered to leave under the influence of gravity.

I can't see a point in having any valve between the filter and the engine. I've never seen one. The only thing sometimes installed in this pipe is a filter restriction indicator (perhaps that's your whoppee cushion!). There should be a sintered safety filter between the indicator and the pipe to avoid dirty air bypassing the main filter should the indicator get knocked off.

Reply to
Dougal

There are two water trap valves on my Defender, but now I think about it they are both on the dirty side. One is on the pipe between the air intake on the wing and the other is the one you've spotted on the filter itself.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I'll have a look at mine this morning and report back later.

Regards

Richard

Reply to
RichardB

Replying to own post.....

Removed the air filter cover to expose the base. This revealed, as Dougal said earlier, a single square hole leading to a short circular drain pipe. Nothing is attached to the drain pipe - the missing dump valve should be here...

On a positive note this is on the 'dirty side' of the filter.

I'll order a dump valve and fit later.

Thanks for your replies.

Regards

Richard