anyone use a difflock drain plug

just found this gadget on the difflock website, has anyone got one and what do they think of it. at £17 its expensive but if it makes draining the oil cleaner and easier i might be tempted.

paul.

Reply to
Paul

I fitted one on the last oil change. Next one isn't due yet, so haven't actually used it yet, but it looks well made and should work just fine.

It is indeed a bit expensive but I hope it will be worth it, not having the oil squirt all over the place.

Pieter

Reply to
Pieter Vroom

Highly recommended. I fitted them to my last two Discovery's ... brilliant! No more oil up the arms when removing the drain plug :-)

You need to be a bit quick screwing the pipe adaptor on the last couple of turns or oil will get out past the treads. Other than that I can't fault it.

I've got a Discovery one at home doing nothing if you're interested. The drain plug part has a 1/2" BSPP thread.

Reply to
SteveG

Hi Steve

Yes i might be interested. looking at the difflock site it looks like they fitted two different sizes of drain plug, 15 or 19 mm . i collect the disco this weekend its a 1995 model, as soon as i get a chance i will check the size and get back to you.

Paul.

Reply to
Paul

Okay, Paul. It ain't going anywhere. According to the little plastic container it's in the thread size is 1/2" (14mm) BSPP.

Reply to
SteveG

I thoroughly recommend the device, it makes draining the oil a pleasure (well almost).

Now all I need is a way of changing the filter without oil pouring over everything.

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Yep, fitted one to the Discovery - works well. Sometime I will get around to fitting the other one to the 101, but as Warren always does the oil on it there's neither motive nor opportunity!

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Filter? What's that ............................

Reply to
SteveG

It's that thing on the engine that drops oil everywhere....... Oh! hang on that could be talking about anything!!!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Hi Jeff, with oil filter I put a plastic ice cream container on top of diff under filter. Loosen the filter until oil starts to come out and leave for a few mins. After the oil that is under pressure has departed then unscrew the oil filter and drop into ice cream container. From under vehicle take the container and filter forward and down and usually the oil etc is all in the container. From memory the ones we have here in Oz are the 5l plastic "square" icecream containers, but anything shorter than the filter, but larger than the filter OD will work.

Cheers

Phillip

Reply to
Phillip Simpson

Thanks Phillip

I have tried several containers but yet to find one that is large enough but still removable without spilling everything. I'll give your idea a try.... and some ice cream to eat as well!!!

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Jeff,

Try a 2 litre milk container, cut it just below the handle, stick the lid back on. You can get that right up over the filter, loosen it off let the oil drain then unscrew the filter and let it drop into the milk bottle. This can be worked out without spilling any oil (at least in a defender.

I use the same trick when I change the fuel filter.

Reply to
Jason.Goods

That sounds like it is worth a try to see if it works on a 200tdi disco.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff