Auxilliary Heater

I've just been taking my "other car" - a Rover 75 - to bits and putting it back together.

It has a diesel auxilliary heater - a Webasto Thermotop.

I'm trying to figure out what this particular heater does for a living - whether it's an air heater for the engine inlet, or it's a water heater for the engine as a whole

Any ideas?

I'm thinking about going and mugging my local scrapyard and see if they've got any diesel Rover 75s breaking if this turns out to be a water heater. The 75's just about new enough that there's some chance they'll have them.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

In news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, Paul S. Brown wrote: | I've just been taking my "other car" - a Rover 75 - to bits and | putting it back together. | | It has a diesel auxilliary heater - a Webasto Thermotop. | | I'm trying to figure out what this particular heater does for a | living - whether it's an air heater for the engine inlet, or it's a | water heater for the engine as a whole | | Any ideas? | | I'm thinking about going and mugging my local scrapyard and see if | they've got any diesel Rover 75s breaking if this turns out to be a | water heater. The 75's just about new enough that there's some chance | they'll have them. | | P.

Hi Paul. If it's a Thermo Top it's a coolant heater, and you'll have found that it was plumbed into the heater matrix, as well as a fuel supply.

Idea is to heat the coolant so the heater works better, plus as the engine warms up quicker makes it more responsive, efficient etc.

Does yours have the control plugged in so you can set a timer so it comes on independent of the engine? If not, you can buy these and retro-fit them.

Look at

for more details.

Well worth having.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Pewsey

Would this work with the Freelander's TD4, I wonder?

Cheers

Blippie

-- Ten minutes of this rain will do more good in half an hour than a fortnight of ordinary rain in a month.

Reply to
Blippie

In news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.com, Blippie wrote: || Does yours have the control plugged in so you can set a timer so it || comes on independent of the engine? If not, you can buy these and || retro-fit them. | | Would this work with the Freelander's TD4, I wonder? | | Cheers | | Blippie

Possibly. Webasto Do the ThermoTop in two main flavours - plain and ThermoTop C. Have deleted OP so no idea which one was mentioned before.

The plain one takes it's fuel feed from the engine's injector return pipe and stores about 30 minutes worth in an internal tank. This requires a low(ish) return pressure - fine for the old 110/90 Diesel Turbo, and 200TDi, but not for the Td5 which has a very high pressure system. Don't know about 300TDi or the TD4 I'm afraid.

For the TD5 I needed the newer ThermoTop C version - it gets it's fuel independently by having it's own pickup in the tank. Because it pumps it's own it can run for much longer - standard timer control allows two one hour burns instead of a single 30 minute one. On my current car (VW Caravelle, sorry) it even has it's own battery and can run until the battery dies or tank runs out).

Mark

Reply to
Mark Pewsey