Axle oil fillers seized in series 2a

Hi gang,

Anyone any foolproof methods for getting oil level plugs out of axles ? My 2a front and rear level plugs are too tight (SPOT) and they are not perfectly square. Realising my spanner was not going to move 'em I didn't risk making matters worse, as they aren't leaking (yet, though they could be dry!)...

Reply to
terry

You could try welding a metal rod on to the top of the plug. This will then give you the leverage to loosen it.

--> Greg

Reply to
grege

On or around Tue, 13 Jul 2004 20:44:36 GMT, terry enlightened us thusly:

what type? are they male or female squares?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

They are both male ones, and v. tight!

Tezza

Reply to
Tezza

How about buying some replacements and then using a pipe wrench to undo the ones in the axles? Pipe wrenches are very good at getting stuck things undone, they tend to wreck what you're undoing but get it undone they do.

Reply to
Simon Barr

Thanks for the tips guys, I reckon that the welding of a bar to the, or indeed a large nut so I can use a socket may be the only way..

Tezza

Reply to
terry

I had to heat up the ones in my gearbox to shift them. Used a little gas torch, and then a big wrench.

I've also found hammering a socket onto them to work fairly well, then shift it with a power bar.

Atleast you found out that the filler plug wouldnt undo before you drained the oil out :)

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Thu, 15 Jul 2004 15:58:20 +0100, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

I've had to do the gas torch thing a couple of times on sump plugs that have been gorilla-ed and then left for ages to get stuck in place.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

well, doesnt sound a difficult job, alls needed is brute force.

get a pair of 12" (or more) stilsons then just swing on them, maybe heat the plug/filler thing up first, but id bet a tenner it would come loose imediatley.

andy

Reply to
Andy

Button bashing in practice for another round of Daley Thompson's Decathlon, terry left Shakespeare to the monkeys by typing...

If male, stillsons and a couple of feet of scaffold pipe after several applications of Plus-Gas (NOT WD40 - doesn't penetrate unless you submerge the plug in a bath of it for several weeks). Tapping the stilsons/scaffold bar 'gently' with a hammer has always worked for me. Slight chewing may occur, but new drain plugs are always available (just visit your local LR dealer in the early hours and take your pick from the many available. The filler plug is less messy to 'borrow' than the drain plug...

Reply to
weallhatebillgates