7.50r16 tyres for series 2a? Where to get Colway MT in Lincs ?

Hi gang,

Tyre question..

Trying to get some replacment fronts for my series 2a, at the moment she is on 7.50 x 16 on ( I beleive) series 3 steel rims. I will check what the rim size (width) is when I get home this evening

Local tyre depot says I cant get 7.50r16 colway MT's. They are recommending 235/85r16 colway MT @ 50 inclusive of vat & fitting.

Thing is I only need two at the moment (front), and changing to this size means I will have wider tyres at one end. Diameter is supposed to be within 1 inch. Will this have an adverse effect, bearing in mind 4x2 on the open road? Centre diff wear? I have no free-wheelers, nor do I want them either....

Other option, is to fit 2 x Avon Rangemaster to match the rear, but these are just short of 100 bucks a throw...

Q1 ) Will these wider 235/85r16 fit the standard steel wheels ? I estimate that the tread area is ~ 2 inches wider. Will they catch body in lock/crossaxled and/or at extreme of travel on said series 2a. Will the steering be *much* heavier? Its bad enough now parking in tight spaces....

Q2 ) I could send off for 7.50r16 MT colways, but if they are hard to get now( ATS say colway struggle to get the base carcasses to make 'em), I could be in a worse situation next year when I replace the others.. With mail & fitting costs, they will probably approach the cost of the Avons too. Any ideas/options?

As I want to do some offroading (more so as I gain experience) I dont really want to put two more Avon rangemasters on...

Total budget for this re-shodding is 200 quid, 250 at absolute maximum. I had been banking on about 120 quid this go, then 120 in a few months for the rears, then spare..

Thanks guys, what do you reckon?

Terry

Reply to
Tezza

Further -

The wheel rims are marked 5.5F16 - 33

Cheers, Terry

Reply to
terry

Local tyre depot is talking bollocks. Colway MT are available in

206R16, 245/70 R16, 235/85 R16 and 7.50x16. The 750x16 are usually the same price as the 235/85's, as they are nearly the same.

235/85 are replacement for 7.50x16, but they are not quite the same size, they are just under an inch larger in diameter. However, it's up to you. on a Series vehicle it isn't the problem it can be on defender/rangerover as you won't be driving all four wheels on road, and off road any slight difference will be compensated for by tyre slip, as is normal.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Colway MT 235/85s are a lot bigger diameter than part worn 7.50 Mud-Pluggas. I know, I've just sold my two Colways (going for more Mud Pluggas now they're available again). On my 86 the Colways were just too big, overgeared it (its a very tired engine) and caught on the rear body (set up for trialling, hence no bump stops, check straps, body reinforcing), but more to the point I was getting bad transmission wind-up off-road on anything other than soft mud.

Your later Series with a 2.25 engine will probably pull 235s OK, but expect an increase in turning circle. 235s will fit on SWB rims quite happily.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon

Thanks for the suggestions lads, including the ones who only replied via email, not to the list.

It was suggested that I try tyres direct,

and indeed their ad in July Land Rover Owner International claims they have Colway MT in stock in 7.5r16

Well, it appears to be just a con to get you on the phone, they haven't any, bearing out ATS claims that they aren't being produced by Colway at the moment. They did try and sell me some Greenway re-treads at nearly

20 bucks more though (thats marketing for ya..)

I had another look around and found Craddocks selling the Avon Rangemaster in my size for 57 bucks apeice, so for now I have ordered two of these. Will keep my eye open at Peterborough for some Colways.

If anyone is going to Manby showground for Lincs Landrover Owner Club's do, I'll see you there on the 1st August, if not at Peterborough.. ;-)

Cheers guys, Terry

Reply to
terry

Who makes the Mud Pluggas and where can I see them/ buy them ?

Paul

Reply to
Megalowmania

you may be able to buy colway tyres direct from colway , they have website but i dont know the url .

other than that buy KINGPIN MUD TRACK 7.50X16 from paddocks at about £30 each approx , thats what i have on my 300tdi with rangey steel rims .

i did have colway mudtracks before but even though they are slightly more chunky than the kingpins they dont seem to have as much wear on them as do the kingpin mud tracks for mileage before theyre worn out .

buy new tubes for each tyre when fitting these tryes , as with most remoulds like these they use the cases with ribs inside and these will give you the odd puncture at sometime in the tyres life .

Reply to
M0bcg