Black goo

discovery 300 tdi es I have got a black goo oozing from my rear view mirror and a lighter stain appearing on the mirror glass. This is one of the auto darkening mirrors. I presume that it has died although it still powers ok. Whats a replacement going to cost and is it easy to fit? thanks in advance Lee

Reply to
Lee Hunt

I cant stand those anyway! I have all mirrors on the Renault fitted with autodimming and they're bloody dangerous especially if I,m driving at night in a city and need to change lanes.

I'd fit a standard and save yourself a few

Reply to
StaffBull

replacement

Yes, the LCD goo will come out in time, usually caused by extreme heat. Beware that the goo can find its way into the radio and knacker that as well!! They're big bucks to buy new. I found an old classic rangie and nicked the glass from that. The wiring was slightly different, but nothing too drastic. Works a treat now. As for it being dangerous, that surely must be down to how you have it set. On the lowest setting,it's fine and is really useful on country roads at night. I never even notice mine working, the sign of a good accessory??? When I drive the company van in the dark, I'm constantly wishing I had the rangie mirror. Pete.

Reply to
pete_turier