borg warner transfer box

i've heard that noises from t-box on over-run can be symptomatic of wear in the chain and gear, is this true and if so does it cause any serious damage to keep driving till i've saved up for the parts. how easy a job is it to fix anyhow ( i've rebuilt a few series gear boxes in the past so...)

Reply to
steve

On or around Fri, 07 Jan 2005 00:21:37 +0000, steve enlightened us thusly:

dunno about fixing it, but I never worried about the noises, just carried on driving it. 'twas the "A" clutch in the main box that failed first.

the next one I had had a much stiffer viscous unit, mind.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The main failure in the Borg Warner box is the output shaft snapping, whether your noises indicate it's on the way I couldn't say for sure.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

hi richard do you mean the front or rear output shaft, i think the noise comes from the front? but trans. noises can travel through the components and manifest elsewhere. thanks for your input...steve

Reply to
steve

Good point - it's the rear.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

before i get into any sorting of the t-box i need to find out why the

200tdi is so smokey and lumpy at startup, in this weather i need a bit of reliability cheers steve
Reply to
steve

In order of checking, dead glow plugs, knackered injectors, mis-timed injector pump or knackered turbo.

Reply to
EMB

Not forgetting the simple stuff - setting the tappets on 200/300Tdi's can make a huge difference. Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Wed, 19 Jan 2005 08:34:03 +0000 (UTC), beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

'specially if one or more of the little hats has gone awol.

Reply to
Austin Shackles